They may have finally found Ameila Earhearts Plane!

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They may have finally found Ameila Earheart's Plane!

I consider this treasure! :)

Amelia Earhart's plane found? Sonar images may have pinpointed wreckage | Fox News

A grainy sonar image captured off an uninhabited tropical island in the southwestern Pacific republic of Kiribati might represent the remains of the Electra, the two-engine aircraft legendary aviator Amelia Earhart was piloting when she vanished on July 2, 1937 in a record attempt to fly around the world at the equator.Released by The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR), which has long been investigating Earhart's last, fateful flight, the images show an "anomaly" resting at the depth of about 600 feet in the waters off Nikumaroro island, some 350 miles southeast of Earhart's target destination, Howland Island.PHOTOS: Clues Pointing to Amelia Earhart's Plane
external-link.png
According to TIGHAR researchers, the sonar image shows a strong return from a narrow object roughly 22 feet long oriented southwest/northeast on the slope near the base of an underwater cliff. Shadows indicate that the object is higher on the southwest (downhill side). A lesser return extends northeastward for about 131 feet.

Read more: Amelia Earhart's plane found? Sonar images may have pinpointed wreckage | Fox News

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it would be cool to know that's for sure. But do you realize how many thousands of planes were lost in the pacific in the big one?

OP
OP
ctalmadg

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I agree.. I'm optimistic! :) - Been following This since I was a kid! The length is close.. her plane was 27ft.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
A shalloow submersible dive will verify. Yeah, other artifacts have been found on the island. It would be great to know for sure...

Target1972

Mar 27, 2013
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been interested in this since "In Search of" TV episodes from the 1970's. How long could they have survived without fresh water?

Dec 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tracking Amelia Earhart

I was part of TIGHAR's Earhart Project Advisory Council. I saw the original file in the archives in Tarawa that touched off TIGHAR's search and joined in its search of sites in Fiji. TIGHAR's efforts seem to have been taken about as far as they can go, IMHO. Tracking Amelia Earhart - Her Flight Path to the End, by William Snavely, and published by Paragon less than a month ago, offers a compelling new theory regarding the 1937 disappearance of this eponymous aviatrix and her navigator Fred Noonan. It's also the only explanation so far to actually locate a plane. It is located at a depth of over 100 feet offshore Autonomous Bougainville. The plane remains unidentified but seems consistent with Earhart's Lockheed Electra. I'm prominently mentioned in the book and have seen dive photos of the site. I'm accredited by Snavely to the locals guarding the site and have been asked by him to lead an underwater expedition with the sole mission of either identifying the plane as Earhart's or ruling it out. I hope to mount this expedition in 2018. I'm brand new to this site and look forward to getting to know some of you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was part of TIGHAR's Earhart Project Advisory Council. I saw the original file in the archives in Tarawa that touched off TIGHAR's search and joined in its search of sites in Fiji. TIGHAR's efforts seem to have been taken about as far as they can go, IMHO. Tracking Amelia Earhart - Her Flight Path to the End, by William Snavely, and published by Paragon less than a month ago, offers a compelling new theory regarding the 1937 disappearance of this eponymous aviatrix and her navigator Fred Noonan. It's also the only explanation so far to actually locate a plane. It is located at a depth of over 100 feet offshore Autonomous Bougainville. The plane remains unidentified but seems consistent with Earhart's Lockheed Electra. I'm prominently mentioned in the book and have seen dive photos of the site. I'm accredited by Snavely to the locals guarding the site and have been asked by him to lead an underwater expedition with the sole mission of either identifying the plane as Earhart's or ruling it out. I hope to mount this expedition in 2018. I'm brand new to this site and look forward to getting to know some of you.
Captain Crunch, sorry, we do not allow solicitation of funds.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dec 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Captain Crunch, sorry, we do not allow solicitation of funds.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sorry, but I don't understand. In what way does this posting solicit funds?

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Whites SL90, Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Amelia ...

I've been interested in this since "In Search of" TV episodes from the 1970's. How long could they have survived without fresh water?

Amelia didn't survive the government knows that the Japanese abducted her and the navigator after a short time they were put to death and buried that as a fact, check your history books the government didn't want to raise any more negativity when this was this discovered so they just left it alone

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
not to be a pecimist but if I had a dollar for everytime someone claims to have found evidence of, or found the crash site.... I could likely buy a plane ticke to go check it our myself...

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
Amelia didn't survive the government knows that the Japanese abducted her and the navigator after a short time they were put to death and buried that as a fact, check your history books the government didn't want to raise any more negativity when this was this discovered so they just left it alone

Just for curiosity’s sake, would you mind providing more info as to which “history books” prove this to be an irrevocable fact? I’ve certainly heard this “theory” before as well but never knew it to be an absolute certainty....only another one of the many potential possibilities regarding Amelia’s demise.
For the record, I’m not trying to insinuate that you’re wrong...just looking for a bit more clarity as to what makes the story of Amelia and Noonan being abducted & put to death by the Japanese a fact and not just another one of the MANY hypothesis of their disappearance.
Thank you in advance.

Justin

haxor

Aug 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have an autographed pic of her and my grandfather.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be cool to know

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread