Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By ctalmadg
  • 1 Post By jeff-gordon
  • 1 Post By Captain Crunch
  • 1 Post By Captain Crunch

Thread: They may have finally found Ameila Earhearts Plane!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Historian

Jul 2003
    Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
    White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
    189 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Exclamation They may have finally found Ameila Earheart's Plane!

I consider this treasure!

Amelia Earhart's plane found? Sonar images may have pinpointed wreckage | Fox News

A grainy sonar image captured off an uninhabited tropical island in the southwestern Pacific republic of Kiribati might represent the remains of the Electra, the two-engine aircraft legendary aviator Amelia Earhart was piloting when she vanished on July 2, 1937 in a record attempt to fly around the world at the equator.Released by The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR), which has long been investigating Earhart's last, fateful flight, the images show an "anomaly" resting at the depth of about 600 feet in the waters off Nikumaroro island, some 350 miles southeast of Earhart's target destination, Howland Island.PHOTOS: Clues Pointing to Amelia Earhart's PlaneAccording to TIGHAR researchers, the sonar image shows a strong return from a narrow object roughly 22 feet long oriented southwest/northeast on the slope near the base of an underwater cliff. Shadows indicate that the object is higher on the southwest (downhill side). A lesser return extends northeastward for about 131 feet.

Read more: Amelia Earhart's plane found? Sonar images may have pinpointed wreckage | Fox News
    garryson and l2hunt like this.

Charter Member

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    10887 times
    Metal Detecting
    it would be cool to know that's for sure. But do you realize how many thousands of planes were lost in the pacific in the big one?
    Sheldon J likes this.
    EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE ALRIGHT, EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE OK
    IT'S GONNA BE A GOOD GOOD LIFE, THAT'S WHAT MY THERAPISTS SAY

us
    Historian

Jul 2003
    Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
    White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
    189 times
    Oh, I agree.. I'm optimistic! - Been following This since I was a kid! The length is close.. her plane was 27ft.

us
    Mar 2013
    Central Indiana
    Bounty Hunter
    9 times
    Relic Hunting
    Cool story, I believe they have already found some artifacts that may have belonged to them.

http://news.discovery.com/history/us...jar-120530.htm
    Last edited by Target1972; May 31, 2013 at 02:22 PM.

us
    Jul 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Garrett 250
    3477 times
    Research/Limited field work
    A shalloow submersible dive will verify. Yeah, other artifacts have been found on the island. It would be great to know for sure...

us
    Mar 2013
    Central Indiana
    Bounty Hunter
    9 times
    Relic Hunting
    I've been interested in this since "In Search of" TV episodes from the 1970's. How long could they have survived without fresh water?

Dec 2017
    3 times

Tracking Amelia Earhart

I was part of TIGHAR's Earhart Project Advisory Council. I saw the original file in the archives in Tarawa that touched off TIGHAR's search and joined in its search of sites in Fiji. TIGHAR's efforts seem to have been taken about as far as they can go, IMHO. Tracking Amelia Earhart - Her Flight Path to the End, by William Snavely, and published by Paragon less than a month ago, offers a compelling new theory regarding the 1937 disappearance of this eponymous aviatrix and her navigator Fred Noonan. It's also the only explanation so far to actually locate a plane. It is located at a depth of over 100 feet offshore Autonomous Bougainville. The plane remains unidentified but seems consistent with Earhart's Lockheed Electra. I'm prominently mentioned in the book and have seen dive photos of the site. I'm accredited by Snavely to the locals guarding the site and have been asked by him to lead an underwater expedition with the sole mission of either identifying the plane as Earhart's or ruling it out. I hope to mount this expedition in 2018. I'm brand new to this site and look forward to getting to know some of you.
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Dec 10, 2017 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Grammar and clarity
    Ryano likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    27522 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    I was part of TIGHAR's Earhart Project Advisory Council. I saw the original file in the archives in Tarawa that touched off TIGHAR's search and joined in its search of sites in Fiji. TIGHAR's efforts seem to have been taken about as far as they can go, IMHO. Tracking Amelia Earhart - Her Flight Path to the End, by William Snavely, and published by Paragon less than a month ago, offers a compelling new theory regarding the 1937 disappearance of this eponymous aviatrix and her navigator Fred Noonan. It's also the only explanation so far to actually locate a plane. It is located at a depth of over 100 feet offshore Autonomous Bougainville. The plane remains unidentified but seems consistent with Earhart's Lockheed Electra. I'm prominently mentioned in the book and have seen dive photos of the site. I'm accredited by Snavely to the locals guarding the site and have been asked by him to lead an underwater expedition with the sole mission of either identifying the plane as Earhart's or ruling it out. I hope to mount this expedition in 2018. I'm brand new to this site and look forward to getting to know some of you.
    Captain Crunch, sorry, we do not allow solicitation of funds.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Dec 2017
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    Captain Crunch, sorry, we do not allow solicitation of funds.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Sorry, but I don't understand. In what way does this posting solicit funds?
    Sheldon J likes this.

us
    too many hobbies...

Jul 2009
    Battle Creek, Mi
    Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
    276 times
    Sorry, but I don't understand. In what way does this posting solicit funds?
    it looks as though it has been edited.... that part may have been removed before we could see it...

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links