jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you think ? True story, Or coin buyer ad ?
the last couple paragraphs make me wonder.

The doors to the Bellevue store opened and in walked a family — mother, father and three children — absolutely covered in dirt. “Even their car was dusty,” says Adam Richey of West Seattle Coins and Bellevue Rare Coins. “They walked in with these filthy paint buckets in their hands, all of them giddy and grinning.” :laughing7:

Adam asked, “Where did you get all this?” and the father answered, “Well, we dug it up!” The family began opening the paint cans and telling him their story. Their children’s grandparents had recently passed away, and as part of their will they left a map and blueprint of the house they’d built decades earlier. On the map were the details of where to find the treasure that the grandparents had buried before building their home.

read More:
Gold Coins and Silver Coins Found Buried Under A House | www.kirotv.com

Last edited:

killian110

Dec 16, 2007
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Sounds kind of fishy. I hope it isn't true. If it is I cring to think of people being so dumb with a treasure like that. Won't be long before the coin shop flips the find for a huge profit and big brother hears and wants his piece of the family's $250,000 pie.

I Dig Jesus

Feb 10, 2013
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster DB / Classic ID / M6 Matrix / & now The Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, doesnt pass the sniff test. (wasn't me) Honest, its the coin story! ( the dog did it!) :laughing7:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting story. Not seeking multiple bids is as flag as well as moving it all at once.
I now want to ask buyer I know how he paid for a major buy a while back. Our business has been cash only.
Not saying incident did not happen though. Dropping lots of funds on what's owed needs a source too. An attention getter for sure but if they pay tax on it they should be all right if its believed the total claimed is actual total.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the story is true, then the total value was maybe ten times the amount paid. Really now, didnt they even shower and change their cloths, why did they need to bring the cat? It would take days to figure out the real value of those coins, so of course the family got screwed, that is if it happened.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Shocked me was this

Untitled.jpg

it reminded me of commercials in Mutual of omaha's wild Kingdom in the 196o's :laughing7:

And makes me think this story was a paid advertisement,
not a reporters story on a cache.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like an ad for the store.

That's a lot of coins to instantly put a value on.

If it's true, I wonder how many cans they didn't find? It would be a blast to sit down and go through a find like that, selling them in a lump is not very smart.

mustangpalmer1911

Apr 12, 2011
Hop Bottom, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Gotta agree sound like as ad, and hope its not 250k I am no expert my anymeans but I know that 3 cans full of silver n gold is worth WAY more than that. Would have to be in melt value let alone how rare some of the coins would have been.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like an ad for the store.

That's a lot of coins to instantly put a value on.

If it's true, I wonder how many cans they didn't find? It would be a blast to sit down and go through a find like that, selling them in a lump is not very smart.

Yes I thought of that too. no body is that knowledgeable to quote conditions & values
without weeks of research on the suggested amount in the story

if he separated by gold & silver & paid weight he may have been able to,
but he may also have ripped them off that way depending on what was there.

I think it was just the stores way of saying they can afford to purchase large amounts, and at the same time work on greed & desperation by mentioning $250,000.00

Last edited:

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The link above the story shows that it is in the Shopping section of the KIRO site.
Hit that link and you'll see 4 other "interesting" ads from this company.
Nope, doesn't pass the test.

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An ad for sure, but is there any truth that some people use to bury money in paint cans?

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An ad for sure, but is there any truth that some people use to bury money in paint cans?

I wouldn't say there was any "ritual" of people burying coins in paint cans .

but if someone who some handy they may decide to use them.

However due to the reasons, and suspicions mentioned above,
I believe this time it was pure fiction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread