Some whack treasure hunter kills himself and leaves a treasure quest behind

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Kansas City sports writer Martin Manley commits suicide and leaves behind website explaining decision - NY Daily News
Martin Manley details suicide, sets off treasure hunt
Martin Manley: Man Commits Suicide, Posts Website Treasure Map To His Fortune

_h353_w628_m6_otrue_lfalse.jpg

And here is a quote from da horses mouth (Martin Manley) :
“I had no financial problems. I sold my house which was completely paid for in 1998. The same year I bought $30,000 in 1/10 ounce gold coins and pre 1965 silver coins. Gold was $300/ounce when I bought it and silver was $4/ounce. Gold went up to $1,700 and Silver to $44 making my stash worth over $200,000.”

He then added the coordinates, 38.800542, -94.687884. The directions point to a trail at the end of Arboretum Park.

A $200K stack, now that's impressive. I says it once and I'll says it again, most modern treasure hunts are staged by people with money, and have what, 10K hidden. This is what we call chump change. $200,000, now there's a hunt worth hunting.

Still though, this guy had some serious problems. Remember no matter how far down in skunksville you get, you can always make it out. I don't know why he killed himself either $200K is pretty impressive, its not as big as the high rollers on this forum. A case of envy? Perhaps he knew gold and silver was going to tank, and he couldn't let himself live to see the day?

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He had a degenerative disease and was losing all his functions, memory, sight, etc. He did not want to live like that so he killed himself.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image-1554393689.jpg

Here it is! Go get it men!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You left out part of the story.

“There is no treasure. This morning sparked quite the treasure hunt. Overland Park Police have spoken with the family of the victim and they indicated that the victim had purchased gold but had given it away. The alleged ‘buried treasure’ is a hoax. Please be mindful of this and that the Overland Park Arboretum does not allow digging.”
Read more at Martin Manley: Man Commits Suicide, Posts Website Treasure Map To His Fortune

Nice Person

Sep 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very sad story. God bless this man.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread