OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
...and I will tell you guys....for the most part what we are all picking up, are the equivalent of tossed aside pop cans and beer bottles...the coins that drop out of your pocket at the 7-eleven....the stuff in your compost pile... in other words....ancient peoples trash and "oops I lost its"

...as opposed to an actual excavation of say ...this place, which for me is what archaeology is all about!!!!!
Göbekli Tepe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait a minute guys you aren't seeing the big criminal here, it isn't us just look at what those British archaeologist "wankers" have done all over the world. They robbed the tombs in Egypt, robbed palaces and tombs in India. Seriously where do they get off calling us looters when they have gone into other countries and robbed them blind and actually made the locals do the hard back breaking work. Archaeologists are hypocrites.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

Don't think those countries haven't forgotten that.

That is a major cultural irritation that has had foreign policy implications.

Last edited:

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unclemac, are you serious that you can't even pick up an eagle feather? What state do you live in and what an absolute shame our country is coming to this that an item that was designed by God to fall off of an animal needs to be protected but yet we have so many other things wrong,starving families, kids with little to no education, drugs etc. An eagle feather, what a joke. I have to know the state so if I go there im not shot on sight

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like you need to go back to school and get a degree in trapping...
..all joking aside..I had to train "Guys",the Gov. hired to trap because they had never trapped but had degree's and were hired as Trappers.....makes sense huh??

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unclemac, are you serious that you can't even pick up an eagle feather? What state do you live in and what an absolute shame our country is coming to this that an item that was designed by God to fall off of an animal needs to be protected but yet we have so many other things wrong,starving families, kids with little to no education, drugs etc. An eagle feather, what a joke. I have to know the state so if I go there im not shot on sight

Hell no,you cant pick up or posess an Eagle feather!!!!You cant have any Hawk or owl feathers either

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
..all joking aside..I had to train "Guys",the Gov. hired to trap because they had never trapped but had degree's and were hired as Trappers.....makes sense huh??

you almost made me laugh out loud...

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
...how about this one....awhile ago I was walking on the beach with my wife and small child, a fairly remote beach that is not all that easy to get to. We ran into a couple of fish and wildlife officers....dressed like hardcore urban cops, side arms, vests etc. We had nothing in our hands, no bags, shovels...nothing...we were just taking a walk. They made us turn out our pockets to make sure we were not illegal clamming...

at least they were nice enough about it...

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
good point...ask any Greek about the "Elgin Marbles"

Elgin Marbles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

taken from the Parthenon...the PARTHENON...THE P-A-R-T-H-E-N-O-N.......for crying out loud...

Yes and they look so nice in the British Museum. So does the complete Greek temple that is in the basement that was stolen stone by stone and then reassembled. I vote for English archeologists as the all time champion thieves, oh, I mean looters, I mean pro scientists...

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing how little freedom we have and that all these laws were slipped in on us. That story of checking I for illegal clamming is just wrong, they can not just stop someone and do a personal effects check without probable cause and that means there had to have been something showing like if your pockets were soaking wet, that's just taking it too far and seriously could have been in trouble for doing so if you pushed the issue. Someone needs to tell the local zoo that their feathers from the eagles,hawks etc shouldn't be given away if this law is enforced.

Rogerv

Jan 25, 2013
Beltsville Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garret GTA-1000
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Bounty Hunter (came as BOGO from Kellyco)
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why is it ok for archies to loot known graves (Most MD'ers wont go near a graveyard due to respect) Yet they call us looters for detecting a field?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the problems we encounter here in the states and we posting stuff like this. I have talked with archys and I dont like that word. I share sites and forums with archys. They are people, good folks, who can show the right way to handle a important find. There is already laws on the books, we just need to be safe and have permission.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Why is it ok for archies to loot known graves (Most MD'ers wont go near a graveyard due to respect) Yet they call us looters for detecting a field?

The answer is: Because you asked. Moral of the story? : Don't ask archies what they think of metal detecting (and/or put little to no stock in their answers to such questions).

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The answer is: Because you asked. Moral of the story? : Don't ask archies what they think of metal detecting (and/or put little to no stock in their answers to such questions).

I have never met an archie in the field or had a chance to speak with one.
What do they realy do? Dig up some ones old bones to see what they ate!
We say prayers over the deceased to rest in peace. Not to be dug up and studied.
So I take offense in what they do diging up some ones remains.

I would rather hike with the Sierra Club than hang with the Archies.:headbang:

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
actually most of them are employed in private business and get called in on construction projects. These guys are pretty cool and not all that intolerant, it is the research guys at univs. that make the problems. ...the "publish or perish" crowd...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
actually most of them are employed in private business and get called in on construction projects. These guys are pretty cool and not all that intolerant, it is the research guys at univs. that make the problems. ...the "publish or perish" crowd...

It's the academic ones that get jobs at the state level who make rules banning metal detecting. They think EVERYTHING in the ground belongs to archies and is sacred. It doesn't matter if there are a million already in museums and there is full historic documents of the site, nobody is allowed to touch anything.

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
and the stuff in museums...the VAST majority of it...is in drawers and boxes in the back where the public will NEVER see it....

Marmentman

Sep 10, 2013
La Plata, nm
Detector(s) used
Gold stinger
Primary Interest:
Other
First off let me point out that yes they can illegally search you, NDAA section 1021 and 1022 give them the right to deem you a national security threat and search or even detain you without due process, check it out. We are slowly voting away our rights in the guies of environmental protection, wildlife management, law mitigation. I am very tired of people complaining about what we can and cannot do. We all need to be informed and make wise choices when it comes to leaders. Also need to seriously educate those who have been taught in the public school system. You can't blame anyone but yourself when it comes to a loss of rights. Which also makes me wonder how many people even know there rights anymore. We are a people not governed be people, but our constitution. Read and know it. Lets have fun and enjoy our God given rights.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread