Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's a dude in my town that has a serious hate on for me. I though I'd bring one of my finds to one of the local Museums in order for some identification and dating help, big mistake. After I politely refused his request (passing the finds down to my daughter) he went totally ballistic on me saying that I'm a looter and a thief and should hand over everything that I've found to him and the Museum, that's when the Feathers came out in full force... I basically called him every name in the book and finished of with reminding him that my ancestors have been inhabiting this area for over 12,000 years and that he could suck a fart out of my ass. So, I'm the bad guy for finding things where nobody else would ever look and on my Native treaty land? :laughing7: I should have scalped him with some of the artifacts that were on display? It turns out this particular Museum Curator retired from Archaeology.... I later found out from my friend who is a Professor at the local University that he (Curator) was pissed because the Copper Spearhead I showed him was nicer than anything he or his team had found after 40 years of digging. The Curator at the other Museum in town turned out to be nice as pie and the Spearhead goes on loan to him every time the Museum displays it's Archaic collection. :laughing7: Yup, should have scalped him....

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a dude in my town that has a serious hate on for me. I though I'd bring one of my finds to one of the local Museums in order for some identification and dating help, big mistake. After I politely refused his request (passing the finds down to my daughter) he went totally ballistic on me saying that I'm a looter and a thief and should hand over everything that I've found to him and the Museum, that's when the Feathers came out in full force... I basically called him every name in the book and finished of with reminding him that my ancestors have been inhabiting this area for over 12,000 years and that he could suck a fart out of my ass. So, I'm the bad guy for finding things where nobody else would ever look and on my Native treaty land? :laughing7: I should have scalped him with some of the artifacts that were on display? It turns out this particular Museum Curator retired from Archaeology.... I later found out from my friend who is a Professor at the local University that he (Curator) was pissed because the Copper Spearhead I showed him was nicer than anything he or his team had found after 40 years of digging. The Curator at the other Museum in town turned out to be nice as pie and the Spearhead goes on loan to him every time the Museum displays it's Archaic collection. :laughing7: Yup, should have scalped him....

You can always go back and finish the job, my man backbacon.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ladies and Gentlemen, Coffee ?? Here is the Mexican treasure law, simple and sweet.

Treasure: The owner of the land is also the owner of the treasure buried in the ground of the land he owns, unless the treasure is of historical, social or cultural value, then it belongs to the Mexican Nation. Treasure is identified by the fact that it was either created by man, transformed by man or in mans' domain but buried in the ground (such as gold in a pouch). The civil codes of each state of Mexico deal with issues of who keeps the treasure (provided the federal government does not exercise its' preference of historical, social or cultural value).

On the huge gov't racts, while technically the gov't owns it, it generally simply goes to the finder. unless of distinct historical value . In which case it is declared a Patrimony of Mexico, and if they feel genrous they will pay you an appraised value for it. If they happen to have similar specimans in theNat museums, they keep the better one.

Now you know why I have a problem with Tayopa. It most likely would automatically be declared a Patrimony of Mexico because of it's histoty assocated with the Jesuits..

Don Jose de La Mancha

Mastiff4me

Sep 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info. on that. I was rather curious. Don, you seem quite amazing. Are you familiar with Hacienda de Los Santos?

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geesh, Archeologists. Most of whom have a deep inner desire to become the profession's role model.. Indiana Jones.

Say, wasn't Indiana Jones the reputed best archeologist sought out by everyone? Hmm, didn't he also destroy every ancient temple he entered? (just sayin.)

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Geesh, Archeologists. Most of whom have a deep inner desire to become the profession's role model.. Indiana Jones.

Say, wasn't Indiana Jones the reputed best archeologist sought out by everyone? Hmm, didn't he also destroy every ancient temple he entered? (just sayin.)

who told you this was the professional archeologist role model? dr haury is probable for that role. Emil Haury | University of Arizona | ZoomInfo.com
celluloid hero's are real? damage temples? recover artifacts for personal gain?

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I saw that ! fascinating

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
over here I suspect that they could demand his remains and that he be buried.....

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read another archy stolemn artifact that is in court now with Germany........anyways, I looted the local park this weekend and found a silver ring, 1946 dime in great shaoe, and a cross of undetermined metal. Yep, Im a looter, ruined that historical site. I actually like this park, it has a clay base, means finds aren't deep.......that was a 1/2 hour hunt with friends. My thoughts on looting, unless you on Indian land, you are just cleaning up the trash. With modern garbage mixed in with HISTORICAL finds, its all trash. Now you find a pristine site, put a fence up and a guard and dont bug me no more. I have a lot of respect for historical sites, and you know if your in one or not. There is a lot of area not protected or patrolled, so I hope folks here use some common sense. Part of a old wagon trail was considered looted a while back, most likely by the archy who reported it, but anyway, its a flippin trail, used by animals, and man since the dawn of time. Its where I would hunt. 400 holes is a lot of digging if nothing was found. That didnt happen over nite...............but I keep it legal. Ill say it again, some folks just get out of bed doing things wrong every day of their life.

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
I looted the local park this weekend ..... you made me laugh ....

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just read another archy stolemn artifact that is in court now with Germany........anyways, I looted the local park this weekend and found a silver ring, 1946 dime in great shaoe, and a cross of undetermined metal. Yep, Im a looter, ruined that historical site. I actually like this park, it has a clay base, means finds aren't deep.......that was a 1/2 hour hunt with friends. My thoughts on looting, unless you on Indian land, you are just cleaning up the trash. With modern garbage mixed in with HISTORICAL finds, its all trash. Now you find a pristine site, put a fence up and a guard and dont bug me no more. I have a lot of respect for historical sites, and you know if your in one or not. There is a lot of area not protected or patrolled, so I hope folks here use some common sense. Part of a old wagon trail was considered looted a while back, most likely by the archy who reported it, but anyway, its a flippin trail, used by animals, and man since the dawn of time. Its where I would hunt. 400 holes is a lot of digging if nothing was found. That didnt happen over nite...............but I keep it legal. Ill say it again, some folks just get out of bed doing things wrong every day of their life.

:laughing7: I'll see you in Hell. :occasion14:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Crazy smartphone posted twice.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's one sad little man.
I'm really glad that didn't stop you and you now get to take part in sharing that great piece in a museum environment.
"cudos"

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chris,

LOL....thanks for the chuckles.....if it had of been me I'd probably be in jail after that encounter.....you have way more control than me my friend.....I'm easy going but I wouldn't have taken that crap from anyone.

Regards + HH

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread