Breathtaking ancient gold treasures found at Jerusalems Temple Mount

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
'Breathtaking' ancient gold treasures found at Jerusalem's Temple Mount

from 'Breathtaking' ancient gold treasures found at Jerusalem's Temple Mount | MINING.com

Hebrew University of Jerusalem archaeologist Eilat Mazar has made a "breakthtaking, once in a lifetime discovery" of ancient treasure, including 36 gold coins, gold and silver jewellery, and a gold medallion at the foot of Jerusalem's Temple Mount.The discovery was made in the first week of Dr. Mazar's latest dig, part of the Ophel excavations.
The gold and silver date back to the Byzantine period, during the early 7th century A.D, and Mazar suspects the treasure was hidden by wealthy Jews during the Persian conquest of Jerusalem in 614 A.D.
The most striking piece in the discovery, a large gold medallion, boasts the symbols of the menorah, shofar, and possibly the earliest ornamental symbol of the Torah scroll.
“The striking Jewish symbols, the location of the hoard, the find itself, which gives so much information, all make it a very special find…I’ve also never found so much gold in my life,” beamed Mazar.

Temple-Mount-gold-insert.jpg

Temple-Mount-Coins.jpg

S

stefen

At first, I was hoping that the cashe was a part of the "copper scroll" treasure that has eluded the biblical archeologists
for the last 60 years or so.

Fir those scratching their heads wondering what I'm talking about, when the scrolls were found in the Dead Sea caves, a copper scroll written in ancient Hebrew was found. This scroll described 46 cashes containing what is now believed to be the treasury of the Second Temple which was hidden from Romans.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread