Ft. Worth Texas old treasures found

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have some old news clippings from decades ago, not dated as I wasn't smart enough to write the date on these back then. I will give estimated dates.
The first is where people found "paper money" (cash) up to over $800 on a vacant lot near Montgomery Street and west Freeway, approx. date around 1970:
attachment.php

the 2nd one, is the "stage coach rock"...approximate date is about 1960. This has a long story with me..as myself and about 4 friends found this rock which had words carved in it, near where the old stage trail crossed Marine Creek, near Buck Sansom Park on the north side of Ft. Worth, about a mile south of Marine Creek Dam...we found it laying upside down (lettering face down) and flipped it over to reveal the lettering, which had an arrow and Stage Coach Material Co., and Ft. Worth written in beautiful block lettering. We walked to a pay phone and called the local museum and told them. and they did not believe us. So we left the stone where it was and went home. About a month later this photo and article appeared in the local newspaper. The stone was placed in the "log cabin village" near Forest Park and it was stolen from that location and has never been seen since then! I would estimate the stone weighs about 300 lbs.

attachment.php

to see the original photos go to my album on this forum here
:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/4630-albums3578.html

not sure why the photos in this post are squished down???

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool post! Thanks for sharing....I love seeing that stuff in my own neighborhood

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff.

I have a few history books on Fort Worth and it does give some details on that location including an old trading post. Let me know if you are in the area and I can share some more information with you.

Patrick

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another old Fort Worth lead.

Years ago, a friend of mine told me about a boulder found with carvings on it. This friend was an employee maintaining one of the Bass estates in Westover Hills. The boulder had several carvings on it and the owners wanted it removed from their property during a landscaping project. Supposedly, it was dislodged and rolled to the bottom of the hill. The story divides at this point. One stating that workers absconded with the boulder and it has not been seen since. The other story claims it is still at the bottom of the hill of the Bass property.

I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of the markings.

Patrick

OP
OP
texasvarmit

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool !!! How old were you when you located the rock ?
As I recall I was around 12 yrs old when we found the "stagecoach rock' near Marine Creek and Buck Sansom Park. the area at that time, was used as some type of storage area (unfenced) for road construction materials I think as it had huge piles of dirt, gravel, rocks, all types of rocks and dirt. The hills of dirt were covered with vines of buffalo gourds (round green gourds) and we hiked from our homes on the north side, down across 25th street, across 28th street, along the creekbeds, clear to Marine Creek Dam area.

ONe thing I forgot to mention was that on one of our hikes, we found a huge steel SAFE about 4 feet by 3 feet wide, that had been dumped into a creekbed. As I recall the safe door had been breached, and the safe was empty. but it had been dumped into the creekbed off of a small bridge.
Too bad it wasn't still locked as it could have held a lot of valuables. don't know if the safe was ever recovered or not.

OP
OP
texasvarmit

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another old Fort Worth lead.

Years ago, a friend of mine told me about a boulder found with carvings on it. This friend was an employee maintaining one of the Bass estates in Westover Hills. The boulder had several carvings on it and the owners wanted it removed from their property during a landscaping project. Supposedly, it was dislodged and rolled to the bottom of the hill. The story divides at this point. One stating that workers absconded with the boulder and it has not been seen since. The other story claims it is still at the bottom of the hill of the Bass property.

I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of the markings.

Patrick
Patrick,
am fairly familiar with that area also....one of my old bosses lived out there, etc. Also...back around 1972 or so...the Army Corps of Engineers decided to "straighten" the Trinity River near Burton Hills Road. They went in there with many bulldozers, trucks and other earth moving equipment. When they started to change the path of the river..they exposed many ancient Indian campsites....we recovered from there many: buffalo bones, buffalo teeth, Indian "manos" (grinding stones), "flint" (chert really) "arrowheads" (really dart points), fire hearths made from stones, etc. We called this site the "Burton Hills Road site"

Most of the chert dart points were very old (archaic style) and were of various recognized types. the type Martindale was present with a strongly evident "fishtail" base, huge long barbs on shoulders, and finely serrated edges.

The Corps of engineers had cut one of the rock hearths in half with dozers, exposing it to the elements. we attempted a salvage excavation of the remains of the hearth, found charcoal, bison bones, and limestone rocks that were fire colored and fractured and shaped in a dish type shape there...about 12 to 15 feet below natural grade.

Last edited:
OP
OP
texasvarmit

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One other thing, on the Montgomery street & West Freeway money location ....nearby.....about 1976 the west freeway was under widening (isn't it always? ha ha)...and "they" bought all the houses on the north side of the freeway that were next to the freeway.....and tore all those houses down to widen it. At the time I had recently bought a whites new TR discriminator detector. I took off vacation from work for about a week and I went to those then vacant lots on the north side of the old freeway and detecting almost every day for a week. Found lots of 90% silver, and various other goodies, including some veteran pins, etc. Fun times. :happysmiley:

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi TexasVarmit,

I used to live in those apartments on Burton Hill. That creek right there is full of golf ball size fossils. They have the same design of a sand dollar but are fossils of ancient sea urchins. A friend collected a small book bag full of them and there were still more around.

Patrick

OP
OP
texasvarmit

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi TexasVarmit,

I used to live in those apartments on Burton Hill. That creek right there is full of golf ball size fossils. They have the same design of a sand dollar but are fossils of ancient sea urchins. A friend collected a small book bag full of them and there were still more around.

Patrick
I have seen/found a few, aren't they called sea urchins? or similar?
You would not have believed all the white shells there the Indians had cooked....they were shells of fresh water mussels....there were thousands of the shells in that area, all from ancient campfires along the Trinity river.
There were also small bits of Indian pottery, about size of a dime, brown color, no pattern on them, but black inside (along edge of shards). you can see the bits of white shells in the pottery used to temper the pottery. Also the occasional human bone.

rll2004

Jun 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I recall I was around 12 yrs old when we found the "stagecoach rock' near Marine Creek and Buck Sansom Park. the area at that time, was used as some type of storage area (unfenced) for road construction materials I think as it had huge piles of dirt, gravel, rocks, all types of rocks and dirt. The hills of dirt were covered with vines of buffalo gourds (round green gourds) and we hiked from our homes on the north side, down across 25th street, across 28th street, along the creekbeds, clear to Marine Creek Dam area.

Hello! Came across this post while trying to solve a mystery! I am the Educator and Collections Manager at Log Cabin Village. We recently had an inquiry re: this marker's whereabouts from the person who helped get it relocated here. I see that you note it was stolen. Do you remember approximately when? Do you remember if there was an article written about the theft? We have no records that I can find, and I'm trying to chase history (as is often my job :) ) Can you help?

Thanks in advance...

--Rena Lawrence

rll2004

Jun 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checking in again...anyone have any knowledge of this? Thanks in advance....

--Rena Lawrence

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Anyone remember Liberator Village? Went to first grade at White Settlement before moving to
River Oaks. Graduated from Technical HS 1958. Sister still lives at Sansom Park.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread