in the basement
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pippinwhitepaws
  • 1 Post By mamabear

Thread: in the basement

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    donald peterson

Jan 2013
    somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
    Whites prism III
    1973 times
    Relic Hunting

in the basement

Biblical-Era Treasures Discovered In 'Good Samaritan' Osnat Lester's Basement, Stunning Israeli Archaeologists

Osnat Lester, a woman living in the town of Poriya Illit along the Sea of Galilee, placed a phone call to the Israel Antiquities Authority after a relative passed away, leaving her a collection of artifacts stored in crates. When the archaeologists arrived, they were stunned upon the realization that the objects in her basement were "real treasures" that included pottery and jugs from the Biblical, Roman, and Byzantine periods, reports the Jerusalem Post.

The finds included a vase with a tall frame and high handles that is thought to be about 3,000 years old, from the Biblical period. Another was dated to the Roman period, about 2,000 years ago. A round urn has been identified as belonging to the Byzantine era, about 1,500 years ago.

Archaeologists say that the pieces range from such a wide time period because they are the remains of the cargo of many sunken ships across the ages. The urns and vases were probably used to carry food, oils, and wine.

Lester was completely surprised to learn of the artifacts' ancient history. She told Haaretz that she thought the earthen vessels were probably about 100 years old.

pots

Her relative also did not realize the importance of his finds. "He was a nave fisherman whose entire world was fishing," she told Haaretz. He loved whatever he drew from the water. The fish he ate, and the vessels he kept. He thought they were pretty and could perhaps decorate the house. He never imagined that they were ancient vessels."

The Authority thanked Lester for being a "Good Samaritan" and revealing the treasure for the state. Amir Ganor, head of the Antiquities Authority's Robbery Prevention Unit, told the Post, "In the future we will be able to display the pottery to the enjoyment of the public in museums, instead of just having them locked up in a basement somewhere."
    Sheldon J likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Chronic Patriot/Metal Detecting,it`s My Lifestyle !

Jul 2010
    "Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territory of The Six Nations 1779.. now in Catlin N.Y.
    Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer Tesoro Tejon, Land or Sea Pointer, Garrett Pointer, King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA Lesche 28" Ground Shark Treasure Wise Diggers
    6366 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Ya the head of the Antiquities Authority wants to lock them in his basement, so one one can see them how Pathetic.
    Gary
    I`v been detecting for 51 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    "Success is just Rented, Never Owned and the Rent is due Daily"
    "Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules"
    [video=youtube;yqdSl2jFjlE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqdSl2jFjlE[/video
    WE THE PEOPLE

donald peterson

Jan 2013
    somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
    Whites prism III
    1973 times
    Relic Hunting
    clearly you did not read the same article I did...these objects were found in a fisherman's basement, turned over to the authorities after his death.

really?

Charter Member
    us
    Chronic Patriot/Metal Detecting,it`s My Lifestyle !

Jul 2010
    "Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territory of The Six Nations 1779.. now in Catlin N.Y.
    Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer Tesoro Tejon, Land or Sea Pointer, Garrett Pointer, King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA Lesche 28" Ground Shark Treasure Wise Diggers
    6366 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Thousands of people turn good stuff over to the museums and so called authorities to never see them again.

Really
    I`v been detecting for 51 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    "Success is just Rented, Never Owned and the Rent is due Daily"
    "Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules"
    [video=youtube;yqdSl2jFjlE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqdSl2jFjlE[/video
    WE THE PEOPLE

us
    Feb 2008
    SE Missouri
    garage sale oldie
    865 times
    TH'ing, fishing, reading, cooking
    Can you imagine?!! How exciting it must have been for everyone involved. Man my 2 favorite things fishing & treasure hunting at the same time! Sigh
    pippinwhitepaws likes this.
    dancing in the fire!

Sponsored Links