Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
isn't this Cheating ?

“This coin was previously owned by Harry Edmond Lawrence who served as Deputy Superintendent of the Denver Mint at the time it was struck 40 years ago, but its existence only recently came to light when his son brought it to a coin shop in Southern California. This is an amazing discovery, and we estimate the 1974-D aluminum cent will bring a quarter-million dollars or more,” said Imhof.

odds are, it was never made for circulation or even by accident.
My guess Lawrence created it for the money it would eventually bring in.

1974-D_lincoln_cent1.gif

Rumored to exist for years but not confirmed until now, the first verified 1974 Lincoln cent struck in aluminum at the Denver Mint will be displayed by Heritage Auctions at the upcoming Long Beach Coin, Currency, Stamp & Sports Collectible Expo, January 30 – February 1, 2014. It then will be offered as one of the highlights of the Heritage Signature Auction during the Central States Numismatic Society convention near Chicago, April 23 – 27, 2014.

The First Verified 1974-D Aluminum Cent Will Be Offered By Heritage at Central States Auction - CoinWeek

Last edited:

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
** note to self
1) get job at a US mint
2) strike my own coins out of different material than is used for that denomination
3) sell them years later at a huge profit

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be easier to walk out if Ft Knox with a bar of good than a mint with a coin these days!

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So can someone help me out here? I seem to recall 1930 ish last minted 20 dollar gold pieces that were not released to circulation some escaped the mint. Secret service hunts them down siezes them. Whats the difference between the penny and those both were never released for circulation? I guess I shouldnt expect our goverment to be consistant.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So can someone help me out here? I seem to recall 1930 ish last minted 20 dollar gold pieces that were not released to circulation some escaped the mint. Secret service hunts them down siezes them. Whats the difference between the penny and those both were never released for circulation? I guess I shouldnt expect our goverment to be consistant.

Coin hasn't sold yet.
If it gets a Million Dollar bid they may step in.

Of course this Lawrence guy may have been above the law :(

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure am glad they only made one! Imagine how many alum pennies would be in the ground right now with signals like pull tabs. Would have been even more junk signals to deal with.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
The coin is well known. Several hundred thousand were made without a mint mark (Philadelphia), and destroyed as a test because the price of copper was getting close to breaking the $.01 per penny mark. A few dozen were brought to congress as samples because it would take an act of congress to change the composition of the coin. Each member of the committee was given a few (3?) to handle and examine. They were supposed to be collected at the end of the session, but a few remain unaccounted for (not surprising. Congresspeople are always walking into and out of sessions as they move from meeting to meeting, they hardly ever stay at one session for its duration). I believe 14 remain unaccounted for. This is not the first aluminum cent found. One turned up a couple of years ago. A former guard at the capital had one in his drawer. A congressman dropped it. The guard picked it up and offered it to the congressman, he was in a hurry, so he just walked away and told the guard to keep it (At least that is what the guards family said. after his death, they brought the coin out and tried to get it authenticated). It is believed that it is legal to own the coins because the Secret service has determined that they were obtained with no criminal intent (not sure what that means, it is from an article of the Numismatist, in 1976). There are records of about 10 being stuck in Denver as a trial.

This contrasts the 1933 $20 Gold coin. They struck a few hundred thousand of them, and melted them when Roosevelt made the dollar nonconvertible into gold. A few made it out of the mint, and all are traced to a jewelry dealer, Israel Switt. His family "found" 10 more of the coins. They were confiscated by the Government because it is the opinion of the government that there was no way to legally get one since they were never issued. The lawyers for the family point to a period in March and April 1933 where they could have been available in exchange for other, older $20 gold coins. I believe this is still working its way through the courts. From 1933 to 1970, any of the coins found were melted (I believe 9 were found). There is one legal one (formerly of the King Farouk Collection). They government issued an export license for the coin, so when the coin turned up, it was decided to sell the coin and split the money between the Government and the owner (with 420 extra going to the Government to cover the loss on the books since 1933).

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be easier to walk out if Ft Knox with a bar of good than a mint with a coin these days!

Old wives tale.. we all know there is no gold in Fort Knox anymore

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I need to get a job at the Denver mint and slip me a titanium blank in the penny die...I casted a Jeff nickel with aluminum in high school shop class. It came out real good and the other guys were passing it around and laughing about how good it looked. Then shop teacher got a hold it and tossed it back in the melting pot. He told me he better not catch me do that again. His right middle finger was shot off in ww2 and he'd lecture you and hammer hard on your skull at the same time with that shot off finger of his.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAny more had to be made. Whether or not they were destroyed has yet to be seen. The aluminum had to be extruded to the correct thickness and then punched into planchets, loaded into a hopper and fed through the die striker. That can't be done on an individual basis. Those presses kick out more than one coin a second. It may have been a limited run, but there would have been a batch made as a test run of full production.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
His right middle finger was shot off in ww2 and he'd lecture you and hammer hard on your skull at the same time with that shot off finger of his.

that's old school, my how times have changed..

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What about the copper 1943 pennies, is that a real story? When I was a kid I found one in change back in the 60s, but it was copper plated.

S

stefen

A few years back, gold minted coins were confiscated from the owners based on the fact that the coins were the property of the US gov...why is this cent coin any different...or is it a do as I say and not as I do situation...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread