Dig at Beverly WV, historic site relics

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beverly dig finds highlight exhibit* - News - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -

"BEVERLY, W.Va. -- To learn more about what day-to-day life was like for the occupants of what may be the oldest home in one of West Virginia's oldest towns, Alison Thornton decided to dig into the community's history -- with trowels, buckets and a crew of 40 volunteers......"

The article has a nice photo of young people using a sieve to sift artifacts. I need to add one to my search tools. Here is the featured photo of the Collett House:

Collett_House_I140206195819.jpg

"The home has served as a frontier fort, tavern, inn, saddle-maker's shop, and a temporary Civil War hospital before being home for the Collett family from 1871 to 1948."

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
chirper97,

Thanks for the posting! I passed by the old house many times when I lived in Dailey, West Virginia going back and forth to work in Elkins and later when I lived in Elkins, while going hunting in the mountains near Valley Bend. The house sits about 3 miles Southeast of the Rich Mountain Battlefield and a few hundred yards North Northeast from the famed Haunted House in Beverly which was used as a Hospital during the Civil War and as far as I know, no one has lived in since the mid to late 1980's due to the paranormal activity. I must say, that I would not want to live in a house that still has the hands, arms, feet and legs of Soldiers buried in the yard!

Frank

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank, Thanks for the information and sharing your experiences.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread