Other

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They bought it with the property no one could claim ownership but, them. They are gonna have to pay tax at the top rate between the feds and the state its gonna be around 47 percent......get this weather they are sold or not the tax is due the first year of true ownership....so they owe 450,000.00 by April 15th.....I would definately have kept my mouth shut....but, how do you sell something you actually know very little about some of those coins are worth 10k + a piece....I think them being taxed the first year of ownership is just wrong.... but, its in the books so their stuck in their situation now.
Maybe the laws have changer or are different in CA ---- There were 2 finds in history that seemed different The Baltimore Find in the 30's , where 2 kids found a stash in a dirt basement floor of a home Was changelled in court by former owners and renters of the home --- It ended up being split ------------- The Forsyth Cty, GA find of pots of gold coins in the 1900's was also changelled by a former property owner and the finder has to pay off a share to the claim

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Just saw this, apparently they damaged some trying to clean them:
Restoring the coins was a long, involved process, although for Kagin, it is a labor of love. He said John and Mary initially tried to scrub the dirt and rust off themselves, causing some of the pieces to be unfortunately damaged. So how did his firm restore the coins? Kagin isn't giving out the recipe. "Our technique is a trade secret," he says. "Word to the novice: Don't try this at home."
this site Gold Country couple discover $10 million in buried coins - SFGate has the best/most pix of them in the cans I've seen so far including this one showing just how "rusty" they were 628x471.jpg

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I am waiting for the news report on the feds to come in and claim it was from a bank robbery from that time period and "STEALS" it from the couple telling them they have no found ownership of it!

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The newest coin date is about 30 years after the Civil War
Looks like a bankers stash of that time. :headbang:

$27,980 back then would be like a 1/4 million dollars today.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What if?

? Was the man or Couple ever into Mding.

? How Long have they owned the property .

? Could They have Found/dug the coins Somewhere else Maybe years ago & Re-buried them on Their property ? .He did admit he buried them again at one point.

What would you REALLY do if you found that many Gold Coins on Someone else's property.?

Is there any Detective work done in cases like this ,ie "Lie detector test" or other type "Truth" test.?

Hopefully for them and Uncle Sam it's all legit.

I have a couple coins I would like to send off to PCGS To be cleaned and not have them labeled
"Details " Enviromental Damage" or "Details" Cleaned.
Davers:thumbsup:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I just rented a front hauler for the weekend. Gonna do some landscaping. You VLF mders would have discriminated that can. Just leave this to the PI machines. Lets go Sand Shark were on a mission. DAMIT Jim

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another forum I frequent had an accountant make an interesting comment ---- seems like if it was found on their property the tax rate is one level BUT if it was found on another piece of property it is much higher , I AGREE WITH DAVERS AND HAVE BEEN ASKING THE SAME THING ON OTHER THREADS ON THIS FORUM ! Also an interesting piece of information is that in their interview ( link on another T net post ) The people claim that where they found it , there was a can hanging from a tree. they Always thought the it was some sort of vase to put flowers in ? Now I am not an expert on the amount of time it takes an object to rust through BUT I would estimate a can that was exposed to the elements for over 100 years would have surely rusted away over the time. A can that was used for a vase would have to have a bottom still in place , that would collect water and leaves and would speed up the rusting process

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a vlf would h have in no way cancelled that out the tone from that gold would sound through very deep............ I have found 100= year old cans laying in damp mossy woods on mor than one occasion . The dates mentioned in regards to the original owners claiming latter day refinds pre-date the treasure trove law. These people found the coins one full year ago and have been getting all there ducks in a row so the couns could be displayed and sold.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Yea thats probably true. I only own a pi. Someday ill get a vlf. For now the Shark will do. You are dead on about the preparation. I guess they are Harvard Pirates.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would nice to find a ?Where are they now?? story on this incredible find!

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
It would nice to find a ?Where are they now?? story on this incredible find!

Gidday SeabeeRon

Personally I hope there isn't amigo!

Because it never pays to reveal your identity in regards to any wealth. 99% would love to see them doing well. There is a 1% will see opportunities to exploit. Revealing your identity opens you and family to predators either intent on false claims or even worse kidnapping of family members.

I really wish them well in obscurity regardless where they are now.

Crow

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gidday SeabeeRon

Personally I hope there isn't amigo!

Because it never pays to reveal your identity in regards to any wealth. 99% would love to see them doing well. There is a 1% will see opportunities to exploit. Revealing your identity opens you and family to predators either intent on false claims or even worse kidnapping of family members.

I really wish them well in obscurity regardless where they are now.

Crow

You make a good point Crow!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread