Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prospectors Say Drought Has Created California?s 2nd Gold Rush « CBS Los Angeles

LYTLE CREEK (CBSLA.com) — Is 2014 a repeat of the great Gold Rush of 1849?

Prospectors in Southern California are heading to the hills, saying the severe drought has exposed gold that has never been touched by human hands. As water levels continue to drop more nooks and crannies are easier for these gold hunters to access.

“A lot of time you would just see a husband. Now you’re seeing the whole family out,” said Kevin Hoagland, of the Gold Prospectors Association of America.

Prospectors at Lytle Creek, 60 miles from Los Angeles in San Bernardino County, pan for gold, using metal detectors and sluice boxes. CBS2/KCAL9 reporter Art Barron witnessed veteran prospector Jack Barber pull up large pieces of the precious metal.

Armed with simple equipment, anyone can look for gold as long as it’s not on someone’s property or violates an existing gold claim. Many amateur prospectors are joining in the search.

“While you may not make a fortune, it’s a great way to spend time with the family,” Hoagland said. He said beginners may find $5 in gold, but if they’re lucky could take home as much as $200 worth.

mikeinOC1

Jul 3, 2006
Orange County CA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Minelab Excalibur, Fisher CZ21
Oh hear we go. Another souped up story by the TV media. I guess our friendly detector manufacturers and assorted gold panning and other treasure hunting accessory suppliers are going to get a good sales bump with these latest stories.

Me thinks I should get into the treasure tool supply business. Didn't some of the biggest moguls during the gold rushes turn out to be suppliers of tools and other necessities to the prospectors ? Now come on guys and girls admit how much have many of us all ended up spending on our little hobby ? Maybe I am just getting jaded by my meager finds lately and a little envious of that Saddle Ridge Hoard couple. How would it be.. Oh maybe I should go play the Mega Millions lottery tomorrow.

Last edited:

Hoshnasi

May 2, 2011
Cerritos, Ca.
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh hear we go. Another souped up story by the TV media. I guess our friendly detector manufacturers and assorted gold panning and other treasure hunting accessory suppliers are going to get a good sales bump with these latest stories. Me thinks I should get into the treasure tool supply business. Didn't some of the biggest moguls during the gold rushes turn out to be suppliers of tools and other necessities to the prospectors ? Now come on guys and girls admit how much have many of us all ended up spending on our little hobby ? Maybe I am just getting jaded by my meager finds lately and a little envious of that Saddle Ridge Hoard couple. How would it be.. Oh maybe I should go play the Mega Millions lottery tomorrow.

Yup!

"Most of the men who flocked to northern California arrived with little more than the clothes on their backs. Once there, they needed to buy food, goods and supplies, which San Francisco’s merchants were all too willing to provide—for a cost. Stuck in a remote region, far from home, many prospectors coughed up most of their hard-earned money for the most basic supplies. At the height of the boom in 1849, prospectors could expect prices sure to cause sticker shock: A single egg could cost the equivalent of $25 in today’s money, coffee went for more than $100 per pound and replacing a pair of worn out boots could set you back more than $2,500."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread