Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope they get to keep it. I wish I could come across a can like that one day...

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Why would they not get to keep it? It was found on their land, by their own hands.

feature_shipwrecks.jpg

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just in! The California Legislators contemplate a fee similar to DMV in the State of California were if you don't renew your car registration you are fee'd to death a car not registered for a few years has fees for road use failure to pay fees highway patrol fees ect building every year tomaasive amounts many times over what thr care is worth. So to get their piece of this 10,000000 pie they are retroactively wanting to fee the finder of any money or precious metal the State tax for years out of circulation fees plus fees for loss of use and hoarding gold fees. Estimates indicate that the Gold coin finders may owe the state more than 25,000,000 in fees for failing to find it earlier.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read the same article.....go figure. Always the person who isn't even looking. Probably feared that "Spot" would cut his paw on the darn thing so she made her husband remove that hunk of dangerous trash. :laughing7: It just isn't fair.....:BangHead: :laughing7:

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something smells fishy, you just don't find steel barrels filled with gold coins on your property without knowing something !

The owners know exactly where the coins came from!
My opinion !

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just in! The California Legislators contemplate a fee similar to DMV in the State of California were if you don't renew your car registration you are fee'd to death a car not registered for a few years has fees for road use failure to pay fees highway patrol fees ect building every year tomaasive amounts many times over what thr care is worth. So to get their piece of this 10,000000 pie they are retroactively wanting to fee the finder of any money or precious metal the State tax for years out of circulation fees plus fees for loss of use and hoarding gold fees. Estimates indicate that the Gold coin finders may owe the state more than 25,000,000 in fees for failing to find it earlier.

I'd say that's just a "bogus" article, sort of like an "Equierer" article or the same type of "rumor articles" special interest groups put out their in an effort to lobby their own agendas. If the state could have acted they would have already done it as this discovery wasn't made yesterday, the state has known about it for quite some time now.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
knew I should have left my name in it!

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I found 1,427 untraceable coins, I'd definitely surrender the 1,127 coins I found.

mope540

Jun 29, 2011
Yonder
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, X1 probe, SEF 8X6 coil.

AT Gold, 5X8 coil, Garrett PP

Equinox 800, 6" coil

Oldest coin to date...1829 large cent
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A historical find...and a huge mistake in going public. The tax revenue vultures will swarm.

Last edited:

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The writer obviously failed math.
"$10 million worth of gold coins"
"1,427 coins"
"face value adding up to about $27,000 a piece"
"each could fetch nearly $1 million."

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had found that stash, you wouldn't be reading about it here or any where else.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here. No publicity. The tax man will love the capital gains taxes on this puppy. Once they're SOLD that is.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How long does it take a can to rust through ? How old is the home ? Also in the main article it mentions a $5.00 Dahlonega coin in the mix, While the remainder seem to be San Francisco ---------- Seems like a very long way for a Dahlonega Coin to travel in that era
I think that this was someones collection from a previous property owner and the legal battle is about to begin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People will come out of the woodwork to claim those coins.And you are right about that Citiboy289.Lets all sit back and watch the battles began.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It makes you wonder if someone ever went over that area with a metal detector and passed it up thinking it was just a large piece of iron and decided not to dig it!

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It makes you wonder if someone ever went over that area with a metal detector and passed it up thinking it was just a large piece of iron and decided not to dig it!
Or was it found on their property at all ? Would you admit you found it on someone elses property ? There is more here than meets the eye

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What have you heard?

Yeah, I admit it, I buried it and I used those cans because I knew they would be safe!

Those meddling kids! It's mine I tell ya. Mine!
Where is my lawyer?

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So these people found this spring of 2013 and basically had not gone public until a few days ago? I am sure the reason for going public was very well thought out. Sounds like they had been talking with attorneys for some time now. At least that's what was stated in the article I read. Would they of been in legal trouble if the never gone public and just sold them? If that's even possible. I guess they will get a ton of attention now for there up coming sale of the coins thus bring a higher dollar for the coins. Who knows:icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread