more on that 10 million gold coin find

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only way anyone will ever know I found a huge treasure is my mailing address changes to French Polynesia (Tahiti, Bora Bora, Moorea, or one of the 300 other smaller islands)....

hevu6u3e.jpg

gema8yny.jpg

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

I HEARD THAT
THAT PLACE IS AWESOME!
Are those Huts in a pool ? <Or is the Ocean water that clear?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Outcome ?
Time will only tell...
I don't think I would even tell my wife that I found that much COIN.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Outcome ?
Time will only tell...
I don't think I would even tell my wife that I found that much COIN.

Divorce is ugly, I knew men whose wives filed for divorce right after they inherited a lot of money

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HEARD THAT THAT PLACE IS AWESOME! Are those Huts in a pool ? <Or is the Ocean water that clear?

I do believe that's South Pacific Ocean water just off shore

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I HEARD THAT THAT PLACE IS AWESOME! Are those Huts in a pool ? <Or is the Ocean water that clear?

the ocean water is that clear...the lighter colored water is all waist deep and bathtub warm. The bathing suit style is french....no tops.... Shopping is sparse, mostly functional markets for locals...food is definatlely NOT to American tastes...which means not high in fat and super sized. And get this....the only extra cost is a few more bucks in air fair to get there....

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Divorce is ugly, I knew men whose wives filed for divorce right after they inherited a lot of money American by birth, Patriot by choice. I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

but doesn't inherited money get treated differently than "earned"..as in community property..money?

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
I do believe that's South Pacific Ocean water just off shore

Most these South Pacific Islands are mostly either remnant volcanos with a ring of coral around them that acts as a island wide breakwater....or they are relatively flat coral atolls. Check out "Cook Islands" (English speaking) or "French Polynesia"....(French speaking). Both groups beat Hawaii or the Caribbean with a ten foot stick.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but doesn't inherited money get treated differently than "earned"..as in community property..money?

Only if you keep those funds in a seperate account only in your name and don't use funds to buy any kind of marital property or any marital assets from account.

"If receive an inheritance during marriage and keep those assets or funds separate (such as in a separate account) and don't convert them to marital assets (such as by putting them in a joint account or using them to pay for marital assets), they are separate property when you divorce."

http://www.womansdivorce.com/divorce-inheritance.html#ixzz2v6a69v7E

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
good to know

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
here is the latest...

Chief Clerk Walter Dimmick was convicted of stealing six bags of gold coins -- worth $30,000 -- from the U.S. Mint in San Francisco in 1901.More than 100 years later, a California couple unearthed a secret stash of coins, with a combined face value of about $27,000. Most were minted in San Francisco.
Coincidence?
Sure is, said Adam Stump, spokesman for the U.S. Mint.
"We do not have any information linking the Saddle Ridge Hoard coins to any thefts at any United States Mint facility," he told CNN.
bttn_close.gif

140226160216-nr-intv-don-kagin-gold-coin-discovery-00001901-story-body.jpg

The spokesman was responding to the latest wave of speculation that kicked off after The San Francisco Chronicle published a report Monday, suggesting a turn-of-the-century heist could explain the possible provenance of the coins.
Separately, Stump told the newspaper: "We've done quite a bit of research, and we've got a crack team of lawyers, and trust me, if this was U.S. government property we'd be going after it."
The coins from the 1901 heist were never found.

Could century-old theft explain mystery of gold coins? - CNN.com

fishy49

Greenie
Nov 24, 2004
macon, ga
Detector(s) used
whites 6000D, Whites Classic 4,
I seriously doubt the gov't can legitimately claim these coins were stolen from the mint. Far too many discrepancies.

Weather the give-a-mint claims them or not., they should not have gone public. IMHO

I was at a local pub with several non TH friends I said "Look out , those people will have some shyster or the Feds trying to get it" They all thought I was nuts.
They found it, they should keep it. A couple of days, later they all admitted I was right. (for once)

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truely if I found that much in gold coinage, the first thing I would do is RESEARCH the possibilities of POSSIBLY where it came from to find if it is stolen loot or from a robbery! If I came across a story of $30,000 in 1,500 gold coins and the cache I found was $28,000 face value in 1,426 coins, I WOULD CERTAINLY first thing that came to my mind would be what a coincidence! Could it be the stolen gold coins I would think?

Then I would think of my next move;
1. KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT!
2. Lay claim to only finding 100 gold coins cache!
3. I would leave the country for a little while and sell a couple of coins or three, may even buy some to show I am a coin collector buying and selling in the process so it would not be so conspicuos!
4. I would certanly hide the rest of the coins and make darn sure they are well hidden and sell them off little by little with news of finding a few more gold coins here and there while visiting some very old homesteads out in the middle of nowhere!

I know MOST people don't think right when they find something of that nature and panic sets in and they do stupid things and make stupid mistakes!

If it was me, I would find the best attorney around and counter sue the graberment and having them prove that it was ACTUALLY the SF Mint's stolen gold coins!

But as speculation is,
WHERE EXACTLY was the coins found?
WHO OWNED the property in the 1900's were the coins were found?
HOW FAR is the ACTUAL PROPERTY FROM THE SF Mint that Dimmick worked at? 20, 30, 40, 50 miles plus?
IF the property that the gold coins were found and it was a good distance away from SF Mint, could it have been a get away place Dimmick ventured into to get away from every day work like some people today when they get away for a weekend?

Those would be some of the real questions that should be looked at to see if IT IS actually the gold coins Dimmick took.

The rare gold coin without "In God We Trust" on it, if the SF Mint actually HAS PROOF NONE OF THOSE GOLD COINS went into circulation in the public, then the cache IS the one Dimmick stole that has never been found. I have heard of stories of coins that don't go into circulation someone tends to actually get one. If there is ANOTHER GOLD COIN WITHOUT the "In God We Trust" on it, it will prove it went into circulation somewhere. But the only way to ACTUALLY KNOW is if another coin collector has one and finding them may be very hard to do or a long process of finding him/her.

On the other note, the couple said they will keep a few for themselves as keepsakes. BUT, did they REALLY find 1,426 gold coins, or did they REALLY FIND 1,500, did some internet research and learned of the Dimmick theft from the SF Mint and decided to keep 74 coins?

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To address the availability of the 1866-S No Motto $20 that was in the hoard: Checking the PCGS website shows 307 graded, with the hoard one being the best at MS-62. I googled "1866-S $20" and chose the link 1866-S $20 No Motto (Regular Strike) - PcgsCoinFacts.com.

I will also say that it's scary to hear that the IRS wants to collect taxes on the estimated value. I was always under the impression that the only time you incurred a tax was when you actually sold the item for more than you paid for it. Obviously, in this case they paid nothing, so the entire amount would be taxable. What does make sense is that until they are sold, the amount that would be taxable would be the face value of the coins. Scott

Last edited:

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truely if I found that much in gold coinage, the first thing I would do is RESEARCH the possibilities of POSSIBLY where it came from to find if it is stolen loot or from a robbery! If I came across a story of $30,000 in 1,500 gold coins and the cache I found was $28,000 face value in 1,426 coins, I WOULD CERTAINLY first thing that came to my mind would be what a coincidence! Could it be the stolen gold coins I would think?

Then I would think of my next move;
1. KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT!
2. Lay claim to only finding 100 gold coins cache!
3. I would leave the country for a little while and sell a couple of coins or three, may even buy some to show I am a coin collector buying and selling in the process so it would not be so conspicuos!
4. I would certanly hide the rest of the coins and make darn sure they are well hidden and sell them off little by little with news of finding a few more gold coins here and there while visiting some very old homesteads out in the middle of nowhere!

I know MOST people don't think right when they find something of that nature and panic sets in and they do stupid things and make stupid mistakes!

If it was me, I would find the best attorney around and counter sue the graberment and having them prove that it was ACTUALLY the SF Mint's stolen gold coins!

But as speculation is,
WHERE EXACTLY was the coins found?
WHO OWNED the property in the 1900's were the coins were found?
HOW FAR is the ACTUAL PROPERTY FROM THE SF Mint that Dimmick worked at? 20, 30, 40, 50 miles plus?
IF the property that the gold coins were found and it was a good distance away from SF Mint, could it have been a get away place Dimmick ventured into to get away from every day work like some people today when they get away for a weekend?

Those would be some of the real questions that should be looked at to see if IT IS actually the gold coins Dimmick took.

The rare gold coin without "In God We Trust" on it, if the SF Mint actually HAS PROOF NONE OF THOSE GOLD COINS went into circulation in the public, then the cache IS the one Dimmick stole that has never been found. I have heard of stories of coins that don't go into circulation someone tends to actually get one. If there is ANOTHER GOLD COIN WITHOUT the "In God We Trust" on it, it will prove it went into circulation somewhere. But the only way to ACTUALLY KNOW is if another coin collector has one and finding them may be very hard to do or a long process of finding him/her.

On the other note, the couple said they will keep a few for themselves as keepsakes. BUT, did they REALLY find 1,426 gold coins, or did they REALLY FIND 1,500, did some internet research and learned of the Dimmick theft from the SF Mint and decided to keep 74 coins?
Harley You are asking the right questions as I have on other posts on this thread and others about the find, Which makes this all so confusing Since some members post on one thread and others on another
There is so much information and opinions posted that If all put together might have some combined interest ------- SO SUPPOSING
That Dimmick over a period of time had access to all the bags in the Vault, From what I read in another post He was the one who verified the bag count nightly
I doubt the Mints report of 30 bags missing I would believe that this was a editors liberty and instead of 30 bags missing , the combined total of the missing coins at the time of the audit amounted to 30 bags
So considering Dimmick " took a sample home one at a time and then shorting the bag count would explain why the find was in sequential order , fill one can then start another " One piece at a time ' and all seem to be uncirculated
Has anyone seem a full list of what was recovered ? I heard somewhere there were Dahlonega five dollar pieces in the mix
Now as you mentioned , Where is the property , who owned it before and how many owners since then , Is there a connection?
Also why would he have never gone back to get them , I have looked and looked trying to find any info regarding when he died , cant find any ?
Did he die in prison?
There also was comments that the Secret Service Agent ( Burns I believe ) has a less than honest past
Could Dimmick made a deal , gotten a short sentence in exchange for the coins and they became Burn's property ? and what ever happened to Burns?
The question is that who ever hid the coins was a one man operation and thus so at his demise the location was lost
I also wonder about the age of the CANS , was there anything on them , labels would be gone but printing might have remained and would at least give a idea of the timespan
Any that's my concerns and points of discussion

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread