Tax man comes after half of gold coins found on couples property

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, they wanted the world to know about their find. Now it's going to cost them half of the value of the gold coins. And, I sure there will be claims make on the coins. This gold could be tied up for many years. I don't believe these fokes really though about the consequences of taking this public.

Last edited:

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"it is taxable to you at its fair market value in the first year it is in your undisputed possession."

It is in there possession but is it "undisputed"? There's no real surprise that the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia and the IRS are there with their hands out.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what the complaint is here. If you make money, you should pay tax on it. Freedom isn't free.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freedom is paid for in blood not greenbacks.

We had no income tax at all till 1862-1872 (Cilvil War)and we got along fine and fought wars.

In 1913 income tax reared it's ugly head again and has been bleeding self respecting citizens who choose to work ever since....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll pay for my freedom however I wish to, that's part of being free...

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It should to be taxed on face value in my opinion. After all, it is US minted coinage.

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Not sure what the complaint is here. If you make money, you should pay tax on it. Freedom isn't free.
Just as money gained from insurance claims, law suits, items sold at auction or by other means items found is NOT INCOME per legal definition.

Now my first thought is this.... Is that simply an opinion put in print and pursued and un protested it is treated as law, is referred to as Pria Vara (SP?) law.

In short if I say it is the law despite no documentation AKA I made it up becuse it sounds good, and you believe me then it is so and bears the weight of law.
If however if I call you out and say PROVE IT SHOW ME THE SPECIFIC LAW AND CODING IN WRITING and you cannot then you have been nullified.....

Yes this is a very old legal trick, police and government uses it quite regularly...
No I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on tv, but I have been to the school of hard knocks...

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your driving down the highway with $15,000 cash to buy a car and get pulled over for speeding. Police see the cash and confiscate it..... Now watch how much trouble you have trying to get YOUR money back once it is seized by police...

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Freedom is paid for in blood not greenbacks.

So you would send soldiers to battle without weapons, pay, transport, uniforms, or even food? They can pay in blood, but we need to support that body until the blood is spilled. Then pay for it again after the wound or support the family after the death.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you would send soldiers to battle without weapons, pay, transport, uniforms, or even food? They can pay in blood, but we need to support that body until the blood is spilled. Then pay for it again after the wound or support the family after the death.

Ask any vet, he will tell you what paid for our freedoms.......Blood.

ynu2upa9.jpg

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your driving down the highway with $15,000 cash to buy a car and get pulled over for speeding. Police see the cash and confiscate it..... Now watch how much trouble you have trying to get YOUR money back once it is seized by police...
That reminded me of a friend who had just won a bad beat jackpot and had over 20K in his pocket and got pulled over for running a stop sign. It took a couple of hours before he was able to continue on his way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions