jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First revealed in February, the Saddle Ridge Hoard of 19th century coins has spawned hundreds of theories about their origins. Some amateur historians say the hoard - believed to be the biggest buried treasure ever found in the United States - came from stagecoach bandit Black Bart, while others say it was outlaw Jesse James' booty.

Hundreds of would-be claimants have popped up saying their grandfathers, aunts or more distant relatives owned the coins - and they've demanded them back. One man journeyed to the Gold Rush-era town of Jackson (Amador County) where he's sure the coins were first buried, said he'd found their original location at an ancestor's house, and threatened to sue.

First up is an exhibition of 60 of the coins, to be held at the Old Mint in downtown San Francisco at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday with an admission of $10. An hour later, an 1874 coin from the collection will be auctioned at the Old Mint.

And finally, shortly after that ends, most of the rest of the treasure goes up for sale at Over Exaggerated fixed prices on Amazon.com.

sounds like everyone from the finders to the lawyers, to the Old Mint in downtown San Francisco, to Amazon are going to try and get rich off them.

Auction day for coins found in Sierra Nevada couple's yard - SFGate

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me guess.. and the finders get ZIP...
Yeah that's how to create honest people...

Oh the finders will get some, But if you take the $15,000 the first coin sold for
& find out that the Finders got of that $15,000 it is probably less then 10% if that.
Maybe zip, they may have Donated that one to some cause :tongue3:, explaining why the bids were so high. it says it was for the " benefit of the San Francisco Museum and Historical Society." :(

I'm sure the Dealers,Lawyers, and Tax people share
at least 75% of all the money made on the rest of the coins
as if they Found them :(

Last edited:

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Oh the finders will get some, But if you take the $15,000 the first coin sold for
& find out that the Finders got of that $15,000 it is probably less then 10% if that.
Maybe zip, they may have Donated that one to some cause :tongue3:, explaining why the bids were so high. it says it was for the " benefit of the San Francisco Museum and Historical Society." :(

I'm sure the Dealers,Lawyers, and Tax people share
at least 75% of all the money made on the rest of the coins
as if they Found them :(

Um yeah I'm guessing the........

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whelp you wont know if I find anything from the Ruggles bro's or Morman gold coins up here. :)
I am sure dredgers found the Morman gold long ago and just kept their lips tight about it but the Ruggles Bro's gold is probably still out there.

(Shasta County treasure stuffs)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions