Thirsty anyone? Speakeasy and you shall be served!

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Check this out. It was in yesterdays Press and Sun Bulletin from Binghamton, NY (3/26/07). Really cool stuff. I used to party in that bar in college. Back then it was called West Side Cheers. Now it's a kind of deli called "The CyberCafe" that serves beer. I hope they open up the speakeasy all restored, the guy that owns it would be crazy not to. The link will only work for a week or so before the Press and Sun take it off from their web site.

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070328/NEWS01/703280328/1006

Hidden rooms found at café
Chamber under parking lot may have been Prohibition-era speakeasy

By Brian Liberatore
Press & Sun-Bulletin

BINGHAMTON -- A landscaper Tuesday accidentally uncovered a hidden chamber below the parking lot of CyberCafe West in Binghamton.

The two rooms, which were filled with rotted wooden kegs, a rusted pulley system and glass bottles dating back to the 1920s, confirmed CyberCafe owner Jeff Kahn's suspicion that his building had once housed an illegal speakeasy.

"It's an interesting mystery," Khan said, staring into the recently revealed opening.

Dan Carruthers, a local landscaper, had planned early Tuesday to break apart a concrete slab in the CyberCafe parking lot on Main Street that had started to crack and sag. The first swing of his sledgehammer brought light into a space that had been sealed for decades.

"When I broke that open and everything fell down into the hole, I was pretty excited," Carruthers said. He ran back into the CyberCafe, found a flashlight and crawled into the opening. Plywood remnants in the mound of dirt led Carruthers to believe that the opening had been boarded up and the entrance long ago filled in with dirt before it was sealed.

The rooms were filled with glass bottles, a copper funnel and wooden beer kegs, rusted taps still in place. A glass jug near the kegs read, "Winarick's Jeris," a hair tonic dating back to the early part of the 20th century. A fireplace on one side of the 12-by-20-foot room may once have pulled smoke and fumes from a small distillery, Khan said. The remains of a pulley system hung in the adjacent 3-by-12-foot room.

Like most cities across the country during the 1920s and early 1930s when the U.S. government banned the sale of alcohol, Binghamton was dotted with speakeasies that sold beer, wine and liquor in backrooms out of the sight of law enforcement, said Gerry Smith, Broome County historian.

Tax maps of the city dating back to 1898 show a saloon where the CyberCafe now stands. In the 1920s, a series of automobile garages were built in the spot of the underground chamber, Smith said.

Construction of the garages, Smith said, could have covered for a different kind of construction.

"You wouldn't build those details without some different intent," Smith said, referring to the pulley system in the underground chambers.

Rumors of a speakeasy, Kahn said, have always surrounded the building. Irregularities in the walls near the rear of the restaurant hint that there was once a back room accessible only through a side door, Kahn said.

As for the hole in his parking lot, Kahn said he was still weighing options.

"I don't know what to do with it," Kahn said. "It's very odd to have a room below your parking lot. I feel it should serve some purpose."

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
As the immortal Calvin (and Hobbs) said, "Treasure is everywhere!!"
Great Story. Thanks for sharing it.
Regards,
Jules

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a cool story. What a neat find. Better than Geraldo opening up Al Capone's vault, that's for sure. Someone needs to get a metal detector in there. ;D
Thanks for that post,
MM

T

TreasureTales

How very exciting! Wouldn't finding something like that just be the berries? (that's flapper talk).

OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
TreasureTales said:
How very exciting! Wouldn't finding something like that just be the berries? (that's flapper talk).

Lol. Nicely done.
and yes. I intend to find out if he finally got that parking lot stripped, and if it is still stripped the next time I'm in Binghamton.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Skrimpy thanks for the story. If you folks havn't hit the link, there are 13 awesome pictures. I hope they preserve the rooms, what a neat chunk of history!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sad news is that your buddies of the Broome County Historical Society (aka: The Artifact Gestapos) were in staking claims before the dust settled.

"It belongs to everybody. So you have to pay us if you want to see the parts we'll allow you to; but you can't touch in any case." ;)

OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Sad news is that your buddies of the Broome County Historical Society (aka: The Artifact Gestapos) were in staking claims before the dust settled.

"It belongs to everybody. So you have to pay us if you want to see the parts we'll allow you to; but you can't touch in any case." ;)

What do you mean staking claims? Is the County cleaning him out? Or are they detecting the lot? If they want to detect the lot fine, but if Mr. Khan gives me permission they can't do $#!t about it. Now if they convinced the city to claim some sort of domain BS just so they could get their grubby fingers on the speakeasy that will really peave me off. That is Mr. Khans stuff to do with what he will. If he so chooses to give it to the Broome County Artifact Gestapo that's his business but if they just came in and layed claim to it without his say that is a load of BS. I am really looking forward to seeing a restored Speakeasy the next time I am in Binghamton.

OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
A link to CyberCafes Web site. Nothing on the page about it and no contact for the owners. I'm not going to bother his business to give suggestions about what he should do with it. Hopefully he just has enough sense to keep the Broome County Artifact Gestapo out until he makes up his own mind about what to do with it.

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a great read. I would have love to have been the first down in the old bar.....Steve

OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
More on the Speakeasy. Looks like Mr. Khan did the right thing and left the Gestapo out of it. He's got my alma mater there checking things out and probably publishing a paper. It doesn't sound like hes letting them take anything! NICE! That's the way it's done! Theres a video on the site and it sounds like they are going to preserve it and leave it in place. Charlie also peaked my curiousity just enough to give the CyberCafe a call and find out what was happening and give them a heads up on the Broome County Relic Gestapo. The nice young lady that answered the phone said that Mr. Khan is "very territorial", and my response was "Good". The video on the site says they are going to keep it and try to do something with it. Nice. I can't wait to go drink beer at the "Turf Exchange". If they want I can brew beer for them!

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070330/NEWS01/703300330/1006

Discovery hints at speakeasy
Former Turf Exchange may have catered to underground drinking

By Brian Liberatore
Press & Sun-Bulletin
BINGHAMTON -- From 1926 through 1933, the widow who owned the Turf Exchange, now the CyberCafe West, is listed in the city directory as a proprietor of soft drinks. An accidental discovery Tuesday, and an archaeological expedition that began Thursday, offer strong support to the rumor that Mary Mrlack, who died in 1964, was selling more than soft drinks.

Michael Jacobson and Shannon Glazer with the Public Archaeology Facility at Binghamton University spent Thursday crawling into the recently revealed secret rooms below the parking lot of the CyberCafe hoping to unlock the secrets of what appears to have been a secret hideaway for a Prohibition Era speakeasy.

Dan Carruthers, a local landscaper, discovered the rooms Tuesday while repairing the parking lot.

Jacobson and Glazer planned to catalogue and photograph the room and its contents, which had been sealed for about 80 years. Wooden kegs, glass bottles and a funnel, left to decay in the underground chamber, confirmed CyberCafe owner Jeff Kahn's suspicion that his century-old bar served alcohol when the federal government forbade it.

"I feel like my role is to keep this little piece of history alive and let it grow," Kahn said.

Walter Garvey, 86, of Vestal, was a young boy during Prohibition. His father, he said, had worked at Lauer Brewing Company on Laurel Avenue early in the 20th century.

Garvey said he would go with his father to deliver beer, which was produced illegally, to the various speakeasies across the area, including the bar at 176 Main St., now the home of the CyberCafe. At the time, Garvey said, the bar was referred to as the Turf Exchange -- a homage to the jockeys and horse trainers from nearby stables who frequented the establishment. An annual stop for his father's beer delivery, Garvey said, was the policeman's picnic, where the suds were provided free of charge.

"I could never go in the speakeasies, of course," Garvey said. "But I knew what my father was doing. He was collecting for the beer he was distributing."

Garvey said he remembered the widow Mrlack presiding over the Turf Exchange.

"I suspect it was a speakeasy," Garvey said. "There were many of them around Binghamton and the Triple Cities."

Deed records show that a Stephen Mrlack purchased the property at 176 Main St. in 1916. The building, even then, was listed as a bar and hotel. He died in 1922, records show, two years after the start of Prohibition. In his will, Mrlack left the bar to his wife, Mary, who was the building's sole proprietor for more than 40 years.

Census records from 1925 show that three middle-aged men lived in rooms above the Turf Exchange. One of the men was a firefighter, likely employed at the fire station next to the bar.

Around the time Stephen Mrlack died, tax maps show that an automobile garage was built just east of the bar. Construction of the garage could have concealed the construction of the secret rooms below the surface.

The archaeological team from Binghamton University plans to continue its excavation and may bring in special sonar equipment to determine if there are more secret rooms below the surface of the parking lot.

Based on artifacts found in the chambers, Jacobson said, the team hopes to determine the exact date the rooms were built, and what they were used for.

A chimney in the room and a drain in the floor suggest the room may have served as a small distillery, as well as a storage room, Jacobson said.

The team plans to write a report over the next few months on the results of the excavation.

"There's a tremendous amount of history in this valley," Garvey said.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope they think to check the bricks in the room carefully... along with the fireplace. I bet there's some more neat stuff hidden there.

Bran <><

OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
There was another article a couple of days ago. The newest one says that it was a big family secret and they were wondering when it was going to come out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread