Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oldcoinselmst2014.jpg

Le Roy, N.Y. Joseph Gottstine found four $1 coins in the front yard of his mother-in-law, Stacy Lynn Neureuther, Saturday afternoon. What makes them such a neat find, is three of them are silver dollars from the 1880s. One is a silver dollar from 1971.

She looked up the value of the coins online and the 19th Century pieces may be worth about $65 apiece. :tongue3: NOT :tongue3:

Untitled.jpg

Gottstine's metal detector tells him if the hunk of metal under the ground is likely a penny, nickel, dime, quarter or silver dollar. Neureuther's yard on Elm Street is apparently filled with coins, though Gottstine only dug out the dollars ???

Look at all that dirt from one Hole :laughing7:

oldcoinselmst2014-2.jpg

Rare coins found buried in front yard of home on Elm Street | The Batavian

Last edited:

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
that at one time a buck was a huge loss to someone. One has to wonder were they all lost at the same time or over an extended period...

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
odds alone say one spill. or cache

people loose pennies , nickles , Dimes, & even a few quarters over a period of time.
but Dollar coins are not normal pocket change.

I'll also guess they were lost or placed there after the Clad Ike was minted. (70's ? or more recent)

I personally find this story a little suspicious
because of this statement .

Gottstine's metal detector tells him if the hunk of metal under the ground is likely a penny, nickel, dime, quarter or silver dollar. Neureuther's yard on Elm Street is apparently filled with coins, though Gottstine only dug out the dollars
he
was able to tell they were Dollar Coins ?

& How do you know your yard is filled with "Coins" If you don't dig them ?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a child hood cache of his,
and he needed the detector to re-locate it.
or he's a garrett dealer

Last edited:
S

stefen

Hell, my rewired MD unit with its newly installed chip, not only tells me the coinage, but in addition, the metal composition...

And better yet, the date...(and Mint)

Therefore, I can be choosy as to what I need to dig...:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread