Safe stolen from Cayuga County home had $50K, coins, sports cards inside, police say

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THROOP, N.Y. - A safe stolen from a Cayuga County home last year contained more than $50,000 in cash as well as antique silver coins and collectable sports cards, authorities recently announced. Authorities released details on what was in the safe in hopes the information will help generate new leads, said Cayuga County Sheriff's Detective Brian Schenck. The burglary, which occurred in April 2013 at a house on Turnpike Road in the town of Throop, remains unsolved

Safe stolen from Cayuga County home had $50K, coins, sports cards inside, police say | syracuse.com

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See what happens when you keep all your eggs in one basket.

No, thats what happens when you don't anchor your safe down and put it in a secured are be unknownst to anyone, like in a secret hidden closet, floor trap, in a partial wall, etc!

A friend of mine has an electric fireplace put in when she had her new house built, (god only knows why she wanted an electric one, it produces no heat like real flames and it is more of a decorative light effect), but I looked up in the fireplace on the side of the electric firepit as it was pretty big inside it and guess what I told her to do and I built for her? 2 concealed safes!

Inside the fireplace it was already framed 2X4's and on each side and the brick in the fireplace stopped 3 ft from the bottom of the fireplace floor. You had about 3 ft wide and 2 ft deep and 5 ft tall of space on both sides of the fireplace. I made the electric fireplace pivot out on a hidden platform that slides out and away from the opening by a hidden release button and so you could step in the fireplace and stand fully upright. I took out non supporting 2X4's that were in the way and made like a closet on both sides and the whole inside was done with fireboard and sealed really well and coated with fireproof coatings and when I made the doors, I made it out of 3/4 fireboard, roller tracts for drawers at the top and bottom of the door so when you opened the door it opened outward but you could also slide it into the backside of the wall to move it out of the way when accessing it. When closed it was totally air tight and sealed, especially when closed and locked and water proof.

I took brick she had left over from the house being built that matched the brick around the fireplace and I cut the brick into 1/2 thick pieces and motared them to the door with set screws drilled in from the back side of the door into partway into the brick to also help hold it. Got some motar mix and made the door look like it was part of the fireplace and you couldn't even tell it was a hidden door. I made a special wire that you slipped into a hole to unlock the door.

I told her to keep her mouth shut about it and tell no one unless she sells the house to a new owner and tell them.

She has all her expensive jewelry, some old guns, etc, and other important stuff there.

Anyone that has a new house and don't really want a real fireplace, but want an atificial one, they could do what I did for a hidden safe or room!

Too bad the guy got robbed, hope he gets all his belongings back but I doubt he will recover 1/4 of it, especially the cash part!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Still,if that were me i wouldnt of kept everything in that safe,but thats just me.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya Red, I don't keep everything in one place either, but my gun safe that I also put old coins and jewelry in, is both anchored to the floor AND both walls in a corner. The only way to remove the safe would be to cut the whole wall corner and concrete floor out. If someone can do that it would take at least 3 very strong guys to carry it. Under the flooring frame of the safe I have 2" solid steel plate welded which alone weighs almost 100lbs in itself not including the weight of everything in the safe with ammo.

I used to be a locksmith a very long time ago as well and there is NO PICKING of the tumbler locks either. The locks are made of very high grade steel and unless one knows the type of steel, no ordinary drill bit will penetrate it. I would be in deep crap if I lost both keys!

Last edited:

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like an inside job !

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Safes aren't.

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya Red, I don't keep everything in one place either, but my gun safe that I also put old coins and jewelry in, is both anchored to the floor AND both walls in a corner. The only way to remove the safe would be to cut the whole wall corner and concrete floor out. If someone can do that it would take at least 3 very strong guys to carry it. Under the flooring frame of the safe I have 2" solid steel plate welded which alone weighs almost 100lbs in itself not including the weight of everything in the safe with ammo.

I used to be a locksmith a very long time ago as well and there is NO PICKING of the tumbler locks either. The locks are made of very high grade steel and unless one knows the type of steel, no ordinary drill bit will penetrate it. I would be in deep crap if I lost both keys!

A buddy was talking about their safe once. They hold a lot of guns and money in it. The safe they said was worth quit a bit. They said it had glass that would break and drop a pin that would lock the door even more. Unno why it does that or how you'd activate that unno

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread