jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sotheby's Hong Kong sold an 8.41-carat pear-shape "internally flawless fancy vivid" purple-pink diamond as part of the Magnificent Jewels and Jadeite Autumn Sale 2014 on Oct. 7, 2014 at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Center. The gem, estimated to be worth $12.8 to $15.4 million, sold for a record $17.77 million. The auction house also achieved the world auction record

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its lovely, indeed, but when I think of how many people that money would feed...

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what was really sad was the guy said about Bidders
"toward the end ...... trying to save every Million Dollars" :(

I have a hard time trying to save any dollar :unhappysmiley:

all that Money for something they will hide away in a safe or Safe Deposit box
almost the whole time they own it.

& if they do pull it out to show someone, they will watch them like a Hawk,
& with distrust, every second. :laughing7:

If it was me I'd take it in my hand & pretend to almost drop it :laughing7:

Last edited:

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will be allot easier to sneak that diamond out of the country than move all that cash somewhere safe.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They probably just made the thing in a lab with one of those new diamond-making machines (would explain why its so flawless). If you ask me, anything that can be artificially created by a machine is automatically worthless. That is why I predict in 100 years or less diamonds will be no more expensive than today's cultured pearls. Heck I bought a diamond-tipped cutting blade for $10 at Home Depot yesterday, the blade literally sparkles with diamonds - it's so pretty - too bad it's meant to be thrown away.

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
They probably just made the thing in a lab with one of those new diamond-making machines (would explain why its so flawless). If you ask me, anything that can be artificially created by a machine is automatically worthless. That is why I predict in 100 years or less diamonds will be no more expensive than today's cultured pearls. Heck I bought a diamond-tipped cutting blade for $10 at Home Depot yesterday, the blade literally sparkles with diamonds - it's so pretty - too bad it's meant to be thrown away.
Just a few years back there was a story with photos of DeBers dumping cargo trailers loaded with diamonds someplace undisclosed out in the Pacific in order to keep the supplies in check and hence the diamond prices up....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread