Metal Detecting Enthusiast Setting Out on an Adventure Finds a Historical Jackpot Wor

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal Detecting Enthusiast Setting Out on an Adventure Finds a Historical Jackpot Worth $1 Million

By Nicole Higman (7 hours ago) | Culture, Education, Weird News

Derek McLennan was feeling a little sick the day he went metal detecting with some friends in Dumfrieshire field of Scotland. Luckily, his friends convinced him that he should give the adventure a go anyways.

Only an hour after he started searching, McLennan found a very old and dirty-looking spoon.

McLennan did not fully understand what he had found until he turned over the silver spoon and saw a Saltire-type design; it was a historical symbol in the form of a diagonal cross used in the Scottish flag. He instantly knew it was a Viking relic.

“I went into shock… I went stumbling towards my colleagues waving it in the air.”

Stuart Campbell, head of the National Museum of Scotland’s Treasure Trove Unit, explained to BBC that this find is “hugely significant” because nothing in “terms of range of material” has been discovered in Scotland before.

This particular Viking stash of over 100 items has a variety of historical artifacts from different parts of Europe including Ireland, Scandinavia, and central Europe, including a 1200-year-old silver pot:

7dba497d6db00fa4b139d40c8ea99f6b.jpg

Silver jewelry:

aa8d8567b3eb9d9bfcfeaf0c4ddbc54c.jpg

Early Christian cross thought to date back to the 9th or 10th century:

772592859613f74bfdb9e5769591f929.jpg

McLennan might just get a nice buck or two out of it too — Scottish law allows the finder to receive a “reward” for the finding on another person’s land. And since the total estimated value of McLennan’s find is 1 million dollars, he’s probably in for a very nice reward.

With a little bit of luck and dedication to a hobby, McLennan has added to the richness of the history of his country and others.

Metal Detecting Enthusiast Setting Out on an Adventure Finds a Historical Jackpot Worth $1 Million

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread