confederate gold hunt, Lake Michigan?

wanting rings

Aug 9, 2014
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro(main), White's adjustable sand scoop, Bounty Hunter quick Draw(back up 1), Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250(kids), & a tracker IV(Kids)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
When Davis was captured in Irwinville, Ga, May 10,1865, he and his party had very little gold on them.
The bulk of the Confederate treasury left Richmond, April 3,1865, and traveled to Danville, Va onto Charlotte,NC, to Chester and Abbeville, SC to Dionysius Chennault's Plantation, where marauders store $250,000 and the Union recovered the rest, May 24,1865.
Now, Davis's personal belongings and a part of the remaining treasury arrived at David Levy Yulee's Cottonwood Plantation in Archer, Fl, May 1865.
Also, a portion of the CSA treasury was carried by CSA Sec of State, Judah P Benjamin(Yulee's cousin), CSA Sec of War, John C Breckinridge, and Davis's nephew, CSA Capt John Taylor Wood, as the escaped down the Oklawaha River to Ocala/Silver Springs and then out of the country.
A question arises: since the Confederate treasury was mostly US gold and silver specie, British crowns, French francs, and Mexican silver dollars, how could one determine a coin came from the CSA treasury ?

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of thin but truth can be pretty strange sometimes. I have my own theories about the gold and never considered Michigan, still I wish these guys good luck in their search.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lets hear more about le Griffon as well - leSalle's ship. That would be a hell of a find (though it was loaded with furs and not much beside hostorical value).

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Watched a good Netflix story yesterday on Kruger Millions.....
Interesting story but the bottom line is it was mostly legend, upon further research they had records of the gold coins being paid out to debtors right off the rail car, but still a good watch...
This could be the same deal..... ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions