jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GETTYSBURG, Pa. (AP) — Experts say a skull nearly auctioned off as that of a Civil War soldier killed at Gettysburg is actually more than 700 years old and from the Southwestern U.S.
The National Parks Service said Friday that forensic anthropologists determined the skull is from the late 1200s and belonged to a Native American man in his early-to-mid 20s.
A company that nearly auctioned the skull last year said notarized documents showed it was discovered on a Gettysburg farm.
Estate Auction Co. canceled the Hagerstown, Maryland, auction in June amid public outcry and donated the skull to the Parks Service.
Gettysburg National Military Park's Katie Lawhon says law enforcement is investigating circumstances of the confusion over the skull's origin.
The Parks Service says it's still deciding what to do with the remains.

Skull nearly sold as Gettysburg soldier's is 700 years old

NYNURSE

Jan 27, 2015
N.Y.
Detector(s) used
CTX,Deus,Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only thing worse then auctioning off a human skull is auctioning off a skull that you believed to be that of a soldier whose remains were found near a battle site. I don't have the literary skills to describe the lack of dignity or respect that it would take to do such a thing.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a skull scrimshawed with a map of Andersonville prison camp once at the Baltimore gun show. It was an awesome piece of history!! It was done by an inmate there, the worst prison camp of the civil war. By the way it sold for a very high price.

JRedHorse

Feb 1, 2015
from NH relocating to FL summer 2015
Detector(s) used
I have a Teknetics Gamma 6000 Metal Detector but will be upgrading when I hit FL.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GETTYSBURG, Pa. (AP) — Experts say a skull nearly auctioned off as that of a Civil War soldier killed at Gettysburg is actually more than 700 years old and from the Southwestern U.S.
The National Parks Service said Friday that forensic anthropologists determined the skull is from the late 1200s and belonged to a Native American man in his early-to-mid 20s.
A company that nearly auctioned the skull last year said notarized documents showed it was discovered on a Gettysburg farm.
Estate Auction Co. canceled the Hagerstown, Maryland, auction in June amid public outcry and donated the skull to the Parks Service.
Gettysburg National Military Park's Katie Lawhon says law enforcement is investigating circumstances of the confusion over the skull's origin.
The Parks Service says it's still deciding what to do with the remains.
Skull nearly sold as Gettysburg soldier's is 700 years old

Here's a novel idea....Bury it with respect !!!

S

stefen

Its a no brainer...How about returning the skull to a Native American originization to proper burial...

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Lord! I pray that in 700 years no one has my skull out playing with it.

I remember in the mid 50's, my uncle was serving in the army in Germany. He sent home a picture of himself holding a skull with a hole in the forehead. My uncle had put a lit cigarette between the teeth of the skull, holding it up and smiling. That was a human being who had taken the long walk, and there should have been a little respect shown.

We're in this life for one ride, and I pray I am remembered with respect.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Lord! I pray that in 700 years no one has my skull out playing with it.

I remember in the mid 50's, my uncle was serving in the army in Germany. He sent home a picture of himself holding a skull with a hole in the forehead. My uncle had put a lit cigarette between the teeth of the skull, holding it up and smiling. That was a human being who had taken the long walk, and there should have been a little respect shown.

We're in this life for one ride, and I pray I am remembered with respect.

I'd sell mine right now for $500.00 cash :laughing7:

Of course the deal would be you don't get it till I croak :tongue3:

otherwise your gonna have to steal me from the funeral home,
or Dig me up if you want it for free.

Honestly I doubt very much I'll be missing it once I'm dead 8-)

Last edited:

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I will just get cremated instead.:icon_scratch:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

It definitely should be handed over to native people for a proper burial.

Regards + HH

Bill

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks,

It definitely should be handed over to native people for a proper burial.

Regards + HH

Bill

Why do you think they might wish to do so?? Remember most if not all the western tribes did not bury their dead, they left them out on elevated platforms to decay and be picked by buzzards. No tribes had any really efficient digging tools such as shovels, and in many tribes old people were just abandoned in the wilderness and when they died their bodies were consumed by scavengers. It is silly to apply modern American white man's customs and ideology to ancient natives.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread