Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would be a one of a kind Relic !
to add to a poison bottle collection

1.jpg

BERLIN (AP) — Workers clearing a small garden in northern Germany got a shock when they unearthed a rusted can labeled "Zyklon B" — the deadly poison gas used by the Nazis in the death chambers of Auschwitz and other camps.
Oliver Pohl, a spokesman for police in Kiel, said Wednesday the 150ml-200ml (5oz-7oz) can was unearthed during work Tuesday in the nearby town of Preetz.

Emergency crews determined the can was empty, but still sealed and removed it as a precaution.

empty, but still sealed ?I wonder why they put empty cans there.

Republican Herald | News | republicanherald.com

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
would be a one of a kind Relic !
to add to a poison bottle collection

View attachment 1124387

BERLIN (AP) — Workers clearing a small garden in northern Germany got a shock when they unearthed a rusted can labeled "Zyklon B" — the deadly poison gas used by the Nazis in the death chambers of Auschwitz and other camps.
Oliver Pohl, a spokesman for police in Kiel, said Wednesday the 150ml-200ml (5oz-7oz) can was unearthed during work Tuesday in the nearby town of Preetz.

Emergency crews determined the can was empty, but still sealed and removed it as a precaution.

empty, but still sealed ?
They might have meant the crew sealed it, but the rust would explain empty also
I wonder why they put empty cans there.
Hey, if you don't mind disposing peeps what is the expectation for social conscience regards trash?

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the garden! Glad I wasn't eating any of those veggies!!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They might have meant the crew sealed it, but the rust would explain empty also Hey, if you don't mind disposing peeps what is the expectation for social conscience regards trash?

I see now

under the picture it says Emergency crews were able to determine the can was empty, but still sealed it and removed it as a precaution.

apparently the editor didn't add the word "it" to the main article which caused my confusion.

I didn't reead the Picture Caption til now :thumbsup:

Hey, if you don't mind disposing peeps what is the expectation for social conscience regards trash?

sorry my mind isn't translating what your asking ?

also what's "social conscience" ? being expected to react one way to look good ?
even if
you have no feelings about a particular thing ? (ie: Hypocrasy)

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ewww nothing like flippin that sucker over and reading it...
obviously the gas leaked out over the years...
prolly right under some poor sobs living room.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ewww nothing like flippin that sucker over and reading it...
obviously the gas leaked out over the years...
prolly right under some poor sobs living room.

yea I don't know.
looks looks like it was opened on Purpose on top.
perhaps with a bayonet or other chopping item.

definitely not a can opener

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zyklon B was made by IG Farben, they were a corporation formed by the merger of 6 companies in 1925, two of those companies were Bayer Aspirin and BASF, Zyklon B was a common pesticide used in Germany, they used it to kill bugs long before they used it on people. The first gas chambers in America used Zyklon B to kill inmates sentenced to death.

Background & Overview of Gassing Victims | Jewish Virtual Library
Zyklon B was used in Germany before and during the Second World War for disinfection and pest extermination in ships, buildings and machinery. In the Auschwitz concentration camp as well, it was used exclusively for sanitation and pest control until the summer of 1941. After the end of August 1941, Zyklon was used in the camp, first experimentally and then routinely, as an agent of mass annihilation. Zyklon B consisted of diatomite, in the form of granules the size of fine peas, saturated with prussic acid. In view of its volatility and the associated risk of accidental poisoning, it was supplied to the camp in sealed metal canisters.The Zyklon used at Auschwitz concentration camp was produced by a firm called Degesch (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Schädlingsbekämpfung mbH), with headquarters in Frankfurt am Main and forming a part of IG Farbenidustrie AG.

Bayer patents aspirin ? History.com This Day in History ? 3/6/1899
Bayer became part of IG Farben, the conglomerate of German chemical industries that formed the financial heart of the Nazi regime. After World War II, the Allies split apart IG Farben, and Bayer again emerged as an individual company. Its purchase of Miles Laboratories in 1978 gave it a product line including Alka-Seltzer and Flintstones and One-A-Day Vitamins. In 1994, Bayer bought Sterling Winthrop's over-the-counter business, gaining back rights to the Bayer name and logo and allowing the company once again to profit from American sales of its most famous product.

Zyklon_B_labels.jpg

Zyklon_B_Container.jpg

Cyklonb.JPG

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea I don't know.
looks looks like it was opened on Purpose on top.
perhaps with a bayonet or other chopping item.

definitely not a can opener

lol jeff... I picture some guys who cannot read the can because in german or whatever....they have just fought off the enemy and have crawled through ditches and what not...
been captured then escaped... hid out in some basement... they are hiding and starving... when one of them says he im so hungry... LOOK a can of some food!!!
Im starving... give me your knife I am gonna crack this sucker... we are gonna eat good tonight !!!
heh.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder if there is still residue on it.
Some of that crap just "lingers" like oil.
If I dug that thing or found it... I do not think I would bare hand it.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just so there is no misunderstanding it was used in the US too

Zyklon B arrived in El Paso, Texas, in the 1920s courtesy of the U.S. government. In 1929, for example, a Public Health Service officer, J.R. Hurley, ordered $25 worth of the material — hydrocyanic acid in pellet form — as a fumigating agent for use at the El Paso delousing station, where Mexicans crossed the border from Juárez.

Zyklon B on the U.S. Border by Alexander Cockburn on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

The Nazis learned about Zyklon B from the US treatment of Mexicans

Read more: How America inspired the Third Reich | News | The Week UK

[h=1]The Bath Riots: Indignity Along the Mexican Border[/h]
For decades, U.S. health authorities used noxious, often toxic chemicals to delouse Mexicans seeking to cross the border into the United States. A new book tells the story of what happened when a 17-year-old Mexican maid refused to take a gasoline bath and convinced 30 other trolley passengers in 1917 to do the same.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5176177

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder if there is still residue on it.
Some of that crap just "lingers" like oil.
If I dug that thing or found it... I do not think I would bare hand it.

I won't lie

I would. But then nothing old & rusty scares me.
Most likely I may even have smelled it.
Of course I already know what rusty tin smells like.

the skull & Crossbones would definitely say "Keeper" to me.
Just like a Poison bottle would to most of our Members.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once I was at a flea market... and this dealer... was a lady...
she had a small say 6 inch tall by 3 inch round bottle... but the bottle was stoneware... with a cork in top...
looked old as hell...
I go to pick it up and it is very heavy... and liquid moved in it...
at that second I realize... its mercury... had to be...
I look and the bottle is so old and fragile looking and the cork has been broke off at the rim...
So I set it back down and ask her... "whats in the bottle"?
she says "I don't know I broke the cork off trying to open it"...
I told her... I think it is mercury...
enough to contaminate this entire market and then some.
then told her to carefully put in a coffee can and take to hazardous disposal etc... bla blah..
anyway... trip man...
I went immediately to bathroom to wash my hands...
I went back out by her table... and saw it still sitting there...
I stopped and said hey... um really you need to not try to sell it... someone could drop that etc etc etc...
she says "why don't you buy it then"
I just looked at her like what the ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I smell everything too..
I am so good ... if you had me something you think is silver...
I can tell if it is or not by smell.
In fact I decipher quite a bit of metals by smell.
even Bakelite...
Friction rub test.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can hear the old retired Nazi now;

"Don't vorry all my little plantz. I am just goink to schprinkle a little vater on you....... it's yust a little shower......"

MIke

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I go to pick it up and it is very heavy... and liquid moved in it...
at that second I realize... its mercury... had to be...
I look and the bottle is so old and fragile looking and the cork has been broke off at the rim...
So I set it back down and ask her... "whats in the bottle"?
she says "I don't know I broke the cork off trying to open it"...
I told her... I think it is mercury...
enough to contaminate this entire market and then some.

I have a flask of it at home. Mercury is not all that hazardous in the metallic liquid state. If you dropped that bottle the soil would be contaminated but there is no airborne hazard and casual skin contact is not hazardous. Just wash your hands well afterwards. Anyone who had a "silver" dental filling likely had (or still has) 50% mercury that makes up the amalgam in their mouth. The dentist would mix the powder with mercury just before use. Then grind it smooth - and guess where the "dust" went?

The water soluble forms are what causes problems in the environment. Like any heavy metal it is poisonous if ingested.

About Dental Amalgam Fillings

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see there's another thread hereabouts.

Show of hands for anyone who put Mercurochrome on a cut (merbromin is the generic compound)? THAT is much worse than raw, metallic mercury. Your body absorbs that right up.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see there's another thread hereabouts.

Show of hands for anyone who put Mercurochrome on a cut (merbromin is the generic compound)? THAT is much worse than raw, metallic mercury. Your body absorbs that right up.

yep I grew up with a mom who put Mercurochrome & if I'm not mistaken Tincture of Iodine
on all my cuts.

Iodine used to burn like a mother :laughing7: but good at drying them up.
Mercurochrome was painless so I always wondered if it was as Good :tongue3:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread