South Africa doesn’t have enough coal for power plants beyond 2016

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
From South Africa doesn?t have enough coal for power plants beyond 2016 | MINING.com

South Africa’s state power utility Eskom doesn’t not have enough coal in stock to meet its generation needs beyond 2016, Public Enterprises Minister Lynne Brown said Wednesday.
According to Reuters, the 17 million tonne coal shortfall will become obvious this year at Matla, Tutuka and Hendrina power stations, while Kriel and Arnot Power Stations will began suffering in 2016.
South Africa’s depends on coal to generate 85% of its electricity. But Eskom, which supplies 95% of the country’s power needs, is struggling to meet demand after delays in building new power stations and as aging plants experience failures.
Coal miners operating in the country are not making it easier either. Recently Glencore (LON:AAL) and Anglo American (LON:AAL) announced they’d be scaling back output or selling stakes in mines as the price of the fossil fuel has dropped 22% in the past year.

:icon_scratch: Humm just what do you think that will mean for the value our HUGE coal stockpiles / Industry that Obama wants us to shut down.... :laughing7:

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm gonna pick up some pieces of coal and list it on eBay! :laughing7:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Coal is the biggest polluting source of energy. It is a dead end technology, and needs to be replaced with cleaner forms of energy. Those who cling to dead technology are just as doomed as their jobs.

OP
OP
S

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Coal is the biggest polluting source of energy. It is a dead end technology, and needs to be replaced with cleaner forms of energy. Those who cling to dead technology are just as doomed as their jobs.

You need to wake up and smell the coffee... Coal when run though stack scrubbers is as clean as natural gas, is, has been and will be if the unnatural hysteria about how other countries abuse their coal systems... coal is and can be a clean system and this technology has been available for over 30 years, and is in use in many of the plants that burn the stuff!!

Scar

Dec 25, 2010
Sasol, a South Africa company, is building a 8 billion dollar cracker plant in Lake Charles, Louisiana to separate the petro chemicals out of wet natural gas. By the end of this year the liquified natural gas (LNG) export terminal south of Lake Charles should be complete. Sasol operates natural gas fired power plants in South Africa.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New technologies are great but the old standards will still work great too. I think we need to continue to move forward and learn from the mistakes of the past. Coal is useful still and can be clean if responsible companies do it right. Now I have an idea, A distillation station for removing salt from water located on a massive ship off the coast of California. Sell the water back too them at a premium and when they have enough move ship across sea to another country that needs the service. Major money maker....Now whos with me?

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coal is actually a very clean fuel when it is properly used. If it's just burned outright than it is dirty but put that same coal into a gassification chamber and you've got coal gas - which burns clean like natural gas. It's certainly cleaner that burning gasoline. Heck, in terms of BTUs Vs. pollution output diesel is even a cleaner fuel than gasoline. I think the best option is to just use the original renewable fuels that were meant to power internal combustion engines - Ethanol for gasoline engines and Vegetable Oil or Bio-Diesel for diesel engines. Both these fuels are carbon neutral. Furthermore a vegetable oil spill will not cause long term damage to the environment - in fact some people use it as a fertilizer to IMPROVE their soil as worms and other decomposes love to eat vegetable oil.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
20 years underground in a WV deep mine so , don't try to pound sand up my azz . Until we eliminate EPA and tree huggers we are in serious jeapordy .

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty of coal here in Schuylkill county to keep them going another Million years :thumbsup:

well Maybe I'm exaggerating ... let's say Half a million years :laughing7:

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20 years underground in a WV deep mine so , don't try to pound sand up my azz . Until we eliminate EPA and tree huggers we are in serious jeapordy .

Coal is archaic. It's been on the way out long before the epa got involved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread