garryson

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2007
Hungary
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Six years after the largest treasure haul of its kind was discovered in a field, experts continue to uncover its mysteries. But what has the Staffordshire Hoard taught us about Anglo-Saxon Britain, and what secrets might it still hold?

_84200853_hoard_cross_624.jpg

Read more: Staffordshire Hoard reveals its secrets - BBC News

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing how much we don't know about the Dark Ages. No matter how much I think about it I cannot get the picture of a beautiful Rome being destroyed and turning to a cold post-apocalyptic wasteland. It's like Mad Max but with horses and swords instead of cars and guns, and the sad part is it really happened. The worst event had to have been the purposeful destruction of the aqueducts. The day the water turned off there was no going back. It wouldn't be until the mid 19th century that clean reliable water would be brought to the civilized world in quantities equal to that of 4th century Rome. What I find most fascinating is that many of the ideas, customs, and teaching of the ancient world somehow survived through the Dark Ages and made it to our modern world. What a great world we live in, I love history. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread