$1 Million Worth Of Collectible Sports Cards Found In Abandoned Detroit Warehouse...

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
So, these explorer's go into "abandoned" warehouses and take what they find? Around here we call that stealing and might get ya shot.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed with not really "theirs"...
Does abandoned equate to "un-owned"...
Someone I imagine "owns" this property...
Does abandoned mean city owned ? or ?

S

stefen

prime example of possible trespass?

No statement of ownership or permission.

They openly classified this warehouse as abandoned.

Someone owns it even if it's not in active use.

Too many questions left unanswered.

Last edited:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No one ever said they didn't have permission. In fact, I assume they had permission because they wouldn't be posting pics of themselves and such if they were robbing the place...unless they are complete morons.

S

stefen

You would think that the editor of the article would have been more proactive and require more in-depth information that would validate the finding.

There are any number of finds that are most likely suspect and may be fabricated such as finding an unusual coin or other anomalies.

So when the lack of information begs the question, then red flags are raised. And rightly so.

For one, keep an eye out for first time posters and you will find that a few are extremely questionable. Eventually the validation may trickle in.

We can always play the "What If" game with any presentation in an attempt to validate the find. But that's a fools game at best.

Last edited:

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
No one ever said they didn't have permission. In fact, I assume they had permission because they wouldn't be posting pics of themselves and such if they were robbing the place...unless they are complete morons.

I vote the later.... there is no such thing as abandoned, someone owns it, B it the state or some bank but someone owns it....

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
If there is a lot of cash involved, then you would think whoever owns it would eventually step up.....unless the thing is in some sort of legal limbo.....owned by the bank, a large corporation, the City Of Detroit, etc. who has no idea it belongs to them....

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL at baseball cards from the 80's and 90's being worth a million dollars.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
If there are 1,000,000 unopened topps packs from the 1980's, I could see $1,000,000 retail...

If you have money invested in Baseball cards from the 1980's and 1990's... SELL!!!!!!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's the part that doesn't make sense to me. Lets assume the wearhouse was a packing and forwarding facility for Baseball cards, why would there have been more than one year of cards on site? They don't collect them. They don't hold them. The get them, and ship them. At the end of the year, they would dump the ones unsold and move on to the next year's model.... Why would there be several years of cards there?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This article is all bad for a couple of reasons! Who ever reported this is not thinking! Now, every abandoned building in detroit is going to have people trying to get inside to take a look! :laughing7: I would imagine a lot of the properties are bank,city,or some company out of state/country somewhere owned! So, sure someone owns it! But no one even knows or cares the cards are there! Or they wouldn't be there! So, yes it might still be theft, but I think it's a gray area theft. :laughing7: If worth a million though?.........Someone might come forward and care all of a sudden! These guys should have kept quiet and moved on, unless there is a reason for coming forward? Maybe to locate owner or publicity for the cards sale? Something?

added....
I really find this hard to believe too! I just sorted and priced thousands and thousands of my cards from the 80's and 90's this past winter, I ended up saving a couple hundred, and sent the rest to goodwill, a few car trunk fulls! This was all brands, so I think a million is a stretch! For topps? I don't know! Maybe I missed something and gave away a few thousand bucks worth! :laughing7: Doubt it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years back I was at a house party down the street...
Guy throwing the party says "hey man you know about stuff, how much are baseball cards worth now"?...
I explained that it was not really my gig... and he proceeds to insist on showing me anyway... he is sorta drunk etc...
So he leads me out back to a large wood shed...
Opens the doors... and it was wall to friggin wall 6 foot high... all in like these long boxes and etc.
I was like "wow man" now that's some friggin cards...
He says again... "so how could I get for all of em"? 1000 bucks ?

I was like... sheesh man I have no clue.
Never heard any more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread