Newtzlaw

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks! I'm a new member. Been perusing for a while, but decided to sign up because there are some very interesting people here!

I have a metal detector and I have loved finding things since the age of 8, when I found a mercury dime on the beach. But professionally, I'm a television writer and I am working on a series idea about a group of regular people who find a real treasure on Oahu.

So I'm looking for real stories about forces that can be in the way of that search. Laws, locals, various types of local and federal government agencies. How do you figure out the science, below radar, of what you've found? Who might help or hurt in figuring out content, value, history, even a private buyer? ( I read someone mentioning a dental tech as a buying source, for example). Who might turn you in and for what reasons? And how could you get your find OFF the island without detection? Even if, God forbid, you melted everything down, still seems tricky.

As we all know first hand, the wish fulfillment and romance of finding coins and artifacts from the past is just about the biggest thrill there is. I don't think most people realize how unjust the government can be, how political they can be, when it comes to this kind of supposed "income." If you get to keep it at all!

Just so nobody thinks I'm not who I say I am, here's a link to my IMDB page with my television credits.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0628548/

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help, insight, stories, technical suggestions!! Newt.

Last edited:
S

stefen

Having worked on several FAA projects on Oahu years ago, I would imagine that all islands are subject to the same Hawaiian laws, and as such there is most likely specific laws pertaining to "Found Property".

There are numerous properties under Federal Governmental control that may not be readily identified, or publically denoted. Diamond Head Crater bring one of many. It would be of a primary concern to investigate this source for additional restraints.

The Public Information Office of the Honolulu Police Department would be an excellent resource to develop the premise of a found treasure. The District Attorney's office would be another source.

Also might give the local FBI and CIA office staff a query.

The US Naval Base and AFB can be an eye opener, as well.

And, yes there are stories that would make your hair stand on end.

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
What about the grave of Kalani of the house of Kamehameha, the legendary Kamehameha the Great. Buried in a lava tube with treasure. Not only will your government and political ideas be used, but now you must deal with militant native islanders, some actual descendants of the king. There has to be a woman involved(beautiful of course)and maybe a couple of other people, one (at least) who will be murdered as the bad guys try and stop you.
By the way, there is a direct descendant of Kamehameha teaching at John F. kennedy H.S. here in San Antonio, Texas. His name is Kanani Clark and he has tribal tats all over his body. He puts on Hawaian cultural programs once in awhile. He is a coach there too. You may want to contact him. He was born and raised in Hawaii and knows all the family stories.
Just an idea. Good luck with your script. You are welcome to any of these ideas.

OP
OP
N

Newtzlaw

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Stefen! Yes, that's what I'm looking for... the hair standing on end stories:-)

OP
OP
N

Newtzlaw

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, fellow Texan! I appreciate the lava tube idea and native conflict. Very cool. I'll keep Clark's name on hand. The treasure I am proposing for the first season is the Lost Gold of the Peruvian, but I could still visit your concept of native burial sites in the quest.

I have an idea for Lake Travis in season two. Definitely want to shoot in Texas!

Newt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread