Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2007
Hungary
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ryedale ring could be linked to Henry VIII's queen

A METAL detectorist said he was left shaking after finding a gold ring he hopes could be linked to one of Henry VIII's wives.
Steve Whitehead made the discovery on a dig not far from Sinnington village, near Pickering, with the Down to Earth metal detecting club.
The ring, which could be worth £20,000, is likely to date from the ninth to 15th centuries due to the Lombardic text on it.

imgID40033166.jpg

Read more: Ryedale ring could be linked to Henry VIII's queen (From York Press)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a friggin find.
Holy cow...
And they valued at 20,000 pounds ? sheesh would have thought double that at least.

whis1962

Nov 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This ring was classed as treasure by the coroner in the UK, museum wished to acquire it. Museum could not afford the BM's estimate of £3.500. So I got this back and if anyone want's to put a bid on it, it's up for sale at Sotheby's in London on the 06/12/2016. Happy days, not often you get something disclamed by the museum.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
This ring was classed as treasure by the coroner in the UK, museum wished to acquire it. Museum could not afford the BM's estimate of £3.500. So I got this back and if anyone want's to put a bid on it, it's up for sale at Sotheby's in London on the 06/12/2016. Happy days, not often you get something disclamed by the museum.

What? Wait? Is this YOUR find?

whis1962

Nov 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes dejappoh it is my ring, had stone spectrum tested and is a sapphire, museum said it was glass, they would say anything in a report to get it cheap. So its classed as treasure as it went through coroners court and museum could not afford the measly £3.500, so got it back and now the proceeds of sale at Sotheby's London go to me and the land owner. 14th-15th century gold love ring with sapphire bezel and inscribed inside and out with french gothic text 9 grams 22crt gold.

Untitled-4.jpg Untitled-1.jpg Untitled-2.jpg Untitled-3.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions