jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
History In 1932 a post office was started in the local grocery store, which was owned by a farmer named Swett. In the 1940s there were 40 residents. At the time the community included a post office, a grocery store, and several houses. The post office was closed in 1945 leaving the community to be known for the saloon. Later the saloon was converted into a home after the building of the current Swett Tavern. As time passed, the number of people owning property decreased. Eventually one person owned all of the properties and land in the community. The property was passed from person to person. In 1998 Lance Benson acquired the town. Benson divorced a previous wife, and she received the town after he signed away the property. In 2012 Benson re-acquired the town. In 2014 Benson offered to sell the town for $399,000. The hamlet's sale became international news. In October 2015, the bank located in Gordon, Nebraska holding the mortgage foreclosed on the hamlet property. The selling price was reduced to $250,000 in 2015. The three mobile homes were removed in a general clean up of the property.

10390364_10152479085384660_6015245663728770418_n.jpg

Price includes a home, tavern, 6 acres -- and possibly some ghosts.

While the tavern is closed now, it's still there and was renovated prior to shutting down -- and once had something of a tough reputation. Gerry Runnels, who was a regular at the Swett Tavern when it was open, told the Rapid City Journal in 2014 about an Oklahoman who came to visit. "He said you need a Bowie knife to get in this place and a chainsaw to get out," Runnels told the newspaper. Even the road signs bore the scars of conflict. They had to be replaced recently because "the old ones had bullet holes in them," Montgomery told the Journal.

Ued.jpg

Buy Your Own Ghost Town: Swett, South Dakota, On Sale For $250,000

Last edited:

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW !!,,,

Man,, If I had the loose cash to do this I would.
Invite a bunch of like minded friends and whatnot to come live TAX FREE.
Start a couple businesses or industries.
BETTER YET ,,,invite people to live there who OWN decent businesses, bring their workforce,,
It could be a pretty cool thing,,
Oh well,,, it's early,,, am I dreaming? lol

Need more :coffee2:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I could afford to buy a Ghost town, I'd list it on here as open to metal detecting
to all TreasureNet members & hope one of them was hardy enough to
co-own and run the tavern.

2_glfbgu.jpg

o-SWETT-TAVERN-570.jpg

so anyone visiting to detect could freshin' up :laughing7:

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine said I could buy it but I have to use all my collected clad, rings and sell off my pull tab collection.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine doesn't exist :unhappysmiley:

first I need to find one wealthy enough to buy me the Town as a XMas gift :thumbsup:

S

stefen

I probably have copies of the Post Office Pre-Cancelled Stamps with the city, village, town or territory's name on the stamps.

Wife has 14 binders broken into 48 states, each state broken into counties, and a list of each post office therein, compiled by her grandfather.

These collections date from about 1890's thru early 1980's.

Unfortunately many of the post offices no longer exist for whatever reason, or have been consolidated as the country grew.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
If I could afford to buy a Ghost town, I'd list it on here as open to metal detecting
to all TreasureNet members & hope one of them was hardy enough to
co-own and run the tavern.
so anyone visiting to detect could freshin' up
Just get 100 TN members with a small investment of $2500.00 and they will come.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
wonder how much silver coin was pulled from the old PO area

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread