🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
<<"International laws are behind us and if anything outside the law occurred it will have an answer, and what is ours will return to Spain," the national news agency Efe quoted Calvo as saying.>>

I don't know much about treasure recovery. But, wouldn't the Spanish government have to have proof of what they are alleging? I mean, you can't just seize ships from another country in your waters unless you do. Search, sure.
But taking them to Spain to search them? That's messed up.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
easy spain grabs OME ships and black mails them into giving them some of their find---they tie up OME ships unable to work until they get what they want---ah dealing with modern day pirates ---we're holding your ship and crews as hostages till you give us the money---ah just like the good old days--- when pirates held govt ships and crews for money--- just in reverse---Ivan

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
SWR said:
ivan salis said:
easy spain grabs OME ships and black mails them into giving them some of their find---they tie up OME ships unable to work until they get what they want---ah dealing with modern day pirates ---we're holding your ship and crews as hostages till you give us the money---ah just like the good old days--- when pirates held govt ships and crews for money--- just in reverse---Ivan

Wouldn't it just be knee-slapping hilarious if come to find out those Ships were trespassing and made that recovery on someone else's turf?

Got any proof they weren't? ::)
Got any they were? ::)

malady

May 28, 2007
Florida
If the greedy spaniards win this, Odyssey should charge them 499,000,000.00 for doing the work and recovering it. It would have been still laying at the bottom of the ocean. I wonder if Spanish spies were watching through the whole process, never saying a word, letting them spend the money and effort for this recovery and then when they hit the mother load, step in and say hey, your in our territory,your not allowed there, you dont get to keep it, its mine, instead of saying, hey your in our waters search over there a few hundred feet where its international waters. oh no that would never happen, they wanted someone to do the work for them and hoped they would be within an inch of spainish waters so they can take the treasure.
just my opinion,
malady

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
malady said:
If the greedy spaniards win this, Odyssey should charge them 499,000,000.00 for doing the work and recovering it. It would have been still laying at the bottom of the ocean. I wonder if Spanish spies were watching through the whole process, never saying a word, letting them spend the money and effort for this recovery and then when they hit the mother load, step in and say hey, your in our territory,your not allowed there, you dont get to keep it, its mine, instead of saying, hey your in our waters search over there a few hundred feet where its international waters. oh no that would never happen, they wanted someone to do the work for them and hoped they would be within an inch of spainish waters so they can take the treasure.
just my opinion,
malady

If that were the case, one would think that Spain would have been smart enough to grab the ships before OME was able to make it to the safety of Gibraltar, and send all the booty back to Tampa.

Tom

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yes but now due to the fact all the water around them is spanish if they attempt to leave spain will "hijack" them by boarding them and forcing them to go to spain---impounding the boats and crews till their "happy" ie paid off and the ships and crews can't work tied to a dock so their in effect be held hostage---Ivan

malady

May 28, 2007
Florida
I guess Spain thinks that OME is being deceitful and sneaky just because they are that way themselves for hundreds of years. They dont know any other way it seems. I just feel bad they have to go through this (OME) because of all the hard work, heart and money they put into the recovery and I believe they went through all the right and legal channels. Like I said, it would still be lying at the bottom of the ocean until the end of time and the world would never had a glance of that timeless history that it holds, so why does it matter they found it, they deserve it after all that.
Even IF, just IF, the treasure was found in SPANISH waters (and I was the Queen of Spain) I would tell them search all you want, do you need some help, if we help, we would like a small percentage since you have been doing all the research and have all the tools, i'll give you some qualified manpower and possibly like to have some trinkets for our museums in Spain. That would be fair. Plus the world would have alot of respect for Spain for sharing which is part of world wide history, not just Spains.
Just my thoughts, I know what your going to say, Im not living in the real world. I dont think I ever have. ha.
malady

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
malady said:
Just my thoughts, I know what your going to say, Im not living in the real world. I dont think I ever have. ha.
malady

Your not Alone.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Geeeeeeez...This is proof that you can learn something every day...There is no way to clear the Straits of Gibraltar without traversing Spanish Territorial Watershttp://www.gibnet.com/fish/waters.htm.
That certainly gives more power to Spain than I'd have guessed concerning shipping in and out of the Mediterranean. The only other way out of the Med is through the Suez Canal. Boy oh boy....is THAT ever the long way around!
An interesting bit about this is here:http://www.opiniojuris.org/posts/chain_1180650338.shtml

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the island is english very true but the waters surrounding are spanish---a quirk left over from the treaty that gave england the island in the straights---with it england in the old days could choke off shipping in the med--(german subs played hell trying to get in or out of the med in WW2 because of this (although spain offically did not take sides in WW2 there were a "nazi" leaner in charge---franco in spain) but due to the "rock" the nazis ships couldn't get out into the atlantic---Ivan

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
but due to the "rock" the nazis ships couldn't get out into the atlantic---Ivan

One of those little-known things that must have made a HUGE difference in the way WW2 played out.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
needless to say it played a huge part in the battle of the atlantic---it kept the italain navy bottled up until they were bombed to death thus keeping them from being a factor in the atlantic and kept the german subs from moving to or from the med-"the rock" was a vital place---Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread