Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2007
Hungary
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Uncovering more of Britain's 'lost' Roman roads

They have been lost for thousands of years, but now a 'revolutionary' technique involving lasers is shedding lights on Roman roads and forts.
Archaeologists are using Lidar (light detection and ranging) data - which is typically used for flood modelling - to pinpoint the location of hundreds of miles of Roman roads in the north of England.
Their discoveries are giving clues to a neglected chapter in the history of Roman Britain almost 2,000 years ago when these roads helped Rome's legions conquer and control northern England.

Lidar.jpg

Read more: Britain's 'lost' Roman roads discovered after 2,000 years: Maps reveal a new key route was used to conquer Northern England | Daily Mail Online

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
In the late 80s I went across the pond to visit a girlfriend stationed in the USAF at RAF Lakenheath. We drove down to London for 3 days, and on the way, she pointed out a white stripe on the ground that was bisected by the motorway, and she told me it was a Roman road. In recent times, I used Google Earth to try to find it, but had no luck. I know what I saw, lol. It appeared to be 20 feet wide or so, got to about 100 meters from the motorway shoulder and stopped....and started again on the other side. That was one of the many things I loved about visiting the UK.....ancient history all around me. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread