jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HARRISBURG, Pa.--Police are investigating a weekend burglary at the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg.
It happened between 5:30 p.m. Saturday and 12:40 p.m. Sunday, police say. A window on the museum's ground level was broken during the burglary, and was being repaired on Monday morning.
The suspect(s) took off with numerous antique firearms

Antique firearms stolen during National Civil War Museum robbery, police say | WPMT FOX43

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their were protests over the exhibit, a coincidence, I don't think so

I thought the same, however,

the protests were over a different exhibit .
the One the NRA had there that was a Hands On Exhibit,
& I think Confederate related.

Harrisburg & the NRA Are not getting along these days ,
Because the NRA Filed charges over Harrisburg's illegal extra Curricular Gun Laws.

Not only Does the Mayor of Harrisburg hate the NRA for that,
he wanted a $25.000 Grant from the NRA.
instead they gave the grant to the Civil War Museum :laughing7:

he also wants to get rid of the Civil War Museum.

if the cameras didn't catch them & they get away, My guess
there is a chance they sent in a moron & he stole the wrong Exhibit & now they will cover it up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
726a7543333162436644304143777233

blank.gif

blank.gif

blank.gif

blank.gif

To longtime civil rights leader Homer Floyd, William Quantrill was a terrorist, plain and simple.
Quantrill led the massacre of 180 civilian men and boys in Lawrence, Kan. during the Civil War. Quantrill also kidnapped runaway slaves and returned them to bondage.
So when Floyd heard that Quantrill's revolver from the Kansas bloodbath was a centerpiece of an NRA-sponsored exhibit about guns at the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg, he thought it was "grossly insensitive."
Harrisburg residents have been marching in the streets against violence and mourning their dead, he said, so the museum's decision to partner with the National Rifle Association to highlight guns struck a nerve.
Homer Floyd

"It seems that we're working at cross purposes when one or our local institutions is hosting that kind of exhibit," said Floyd, who attended the University of Kansas before moving to Pennsylvania, where he became the"We thought we ought to speak our minds on it."
Floyd is organizing a protest against longtime head of the state's Human Relations Commission. , which was designed to tie in with the NRA's Great American Outdoor show at the Farm Show Complex. Guns and Lace is also the name of an NRA initiative to encourage women to learn to shoot.
The protest will coincide with an NRA reception planned at the museum from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday. Floyd said he and other members of the Pennsylvania Diversity Coalition plan to stand outside the museum with signs to make a statement.
"We plan to stand in front of the building during the hours of the event," he said. "This is a publicly owned institution. We think it's just a bad message to be sending."
The city owns the museum building and most of the Civil War artifacts inside, but the museum is run by a nonprofit board. Harrisburg Mayor Eric Papenfuse has been engaged in a long-running dispute with the museum over rent, hotel taxes and the museum's connection to the city.Adding insult to injury, the NRA gave the museum a $25,000 grant this year after a dispute with the mayor over the same grant.
Wayne Motts, the museum's director, said the museum's mission is to preserve and exhibit artifacts, photographs and archival documents from a very violent time in our nation's past.
"Many items held and displayed here have a violent history," Motts said. "That is no different than a lot of other museums. Take for example the derringer which John Wilkes Booth used to assassinate President Lincoln held by the National Park Service and displayed at Ford's Theater."
Motts said Quantrill's Colt revolver, which reportedly fell out of his pocket during the Kansas massacre, is no different than other artifacts and displays at countless other museums and historical repositories.
The museum already owned the gun and it has been exhibited before. But the gun's rollout in a partnership with the NRA was "particularly revolting," Papenfuse said, because the exhibit is a "sellout to modern day gun manufacturers.
"Museums shouldn't let sponsors dictate the content of their exhibits any more than newspapers should let advertisers dictate the content of their journalism," he said.
Last month, the Canadian War Museum was criticized for accepting funding from one of the world's largest arms manufacturers for a speakers series and exhibit devoted to recent conflicts.

Papenfuse also said the Quantrill artifact is not properly contextualized in the exhibit.
"Why are we celebrating the gun of a mass-murdering, racist sociopath?" he said. "Cities from Baltimore to New Orleans are taking down their Confederate monuments. We are putting up new ones."

Motts said Quantrill's gun was being shown along with other guns manufactured by Colt and four other manufacturers. The NRA-sponsored exhibit was intended to highlight guns used during the Civil War made by manufacturers that are still in business today.

"Many of the firearms in this exhibition are identified to Union and Confederate soldiers, as well as prominent statesmen," he said "We are exhibiting weapons from both sides of the war as part of the presentation."
The information presented with Quantrill's gun doesn't delve into details about the 1863 atrocity, Motts said.
"We have identified the revolver for who owned the weapon and its significance," he said. "This is not and exhibition interpreting guerrilla warfare during the conflict so it is a simple label of identification."
UPDATE: This article was updated to include information about a controversy in Canada.

726a7543333162436644304143777233

Last edited:

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sad to hear this, I go to that museum all the time. :(
This crime affects all of us as it was our collective history in that museum - what defines us as a nation.
I hope they catch the criminals and recover the artifacts.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'm going to be sick... :angry7:
Harrisburg is a dump, I've seen the filth of that place first hand.
Crime is very high and most of the people there live in squalid conditions.
I went to a small convenience store there last year and it felt like I was in a 3rd world country, food strewn about, unsanitary conditions, security cameras at every corner (you could tell the place had been robbed more than just a few times).
It's a real shame that the museum has to be in such a crappy place.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:( This is no different from when the Nazis burned books or when ISIS destroyed monuments. I did not know this happened, I had just seen those relics in June of 2015, I had no idea they had been destroyed shortly after. Wish I could have been there to save them. This affects me deeply as this is not the first time I've seen this done.

I've been so fascinated by history all my life and one part that I've really studied was that of the arrival of the Irish in New York City in the mid 1800's. Most of the Irish settled in the slums of Lower Manhattan and had to fight really hard against persecution. The Irish were the most persecuted - far more persecuted than the Blacks and Chinese (Irish Need Not Apply). The most notorious place was called the Five Points - an infamous slum known for its daily murders and notorious gangs (The film Gangs of New York was based on a few actual people who lived in this place).

On 9/11 all the old artifacts recovered from the Five Points and surrounding areas through years of archaeology and excavation were destroyed. One million artifacts were destroyed - 1,000,000 artifacts - the whole collection - the entire physical history of lower Manhattan - destroyed. Hardly anyone even mentions this loss of culture becasue 9/11 was such a big event but I was deeply saddened to learn that this loss occurred. I never got to see any of those artifacts before they were destroyed and now no one ever will. The people who burned the Confederate artifacts in Harrisburg are no different from any group who believes the destruction of historic relics and artifacts can be justified, it cannot be justified, it can never be justified. Thank God there are still other museums and private collectors out there dedicated to preserving history.

You can read more about the destruction of the Five Points artifacts here:
http://archive.archaeology.org/online/features/wtcartifacts/

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:( This is no different from when the Nazis burned books or when ISIS destroyed monuments. I did not know this happened, I had just seen those relics in June of 2015, I had no idea they had been destroyed shortly after. Wish I could have been there to save them. This affects me deeply as this is not the first time I've seen this done.

I've been so fascinated by history all my life and one part that I've really studied was that of the arrival of the Irish in New York City in the mid 1800's. Most of the Irish settled in the slums of Lower Manhattan and had to fight really hard against persecution. The Irish were the most persecuted - far more persecuted than the Blacks and Chinese (Irish Need Not Apply). The most notorious place was called the Five Points - an infamous slum known for its daily murders and notorious gangs (The film Gangs of New York was based on a few actual people who lived in this place).

On 9/11 all the old artifacts recovered from the Five Points and surrounding areas through years of archaeology and excavation were destroyed. One million artifacts were destroyed - 1,000,000 artifacts - the whole collection - the entire physical history of lower Manhattan - destroyed. Hardly anyone even mentions this loss of culture becasue 9/11 was such a big event but I was deeply saddened to learn that this loss occurred. I never got to see any of those artifacts before they were destroyed and now no one ever will. The people who burned the Confederate artifacts in Harrisburg are no different from any group who believes the destruction of historic relics and artifacts can be justified, it cannot be justified, it can never be justified. Thank God there are still other museums and private collectors out there dedicated to preserving history.

Cultural Loss in Lower Manhattan - Archaeology Magazine Archive

yes Seems to me these artifacts are better off in Private Hands. At least we would be Proud to show them to anyone who respects them.
How can you possibly have a Civil War museum & just show one side ?

the Whole Five Points artifacts thing is completely new to Me.
I'll check it Out

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Also, about 200 Five Points archival boxes were recovered from the rubble.
Yamin has yet to look in the boxes because they have been undergoing decontamination." ?

Huh ? was this a Nuclear event ? "decontamination" ? what are they afraid of ?
Dust ? terrorist cooties ?

very sad :(

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When people try to purge our country of its history wether good or bad they are no different than ISIS terrorist destroying antiques and any ideology that is not popular with their views and beliefs. It is a political purge. They the destroyers and purgers then become the terrorist.
I say much more and my post will have to be deleted or moved to the political section.
So sorry for the loss of this history. This is a town where my Dad was born and raised. After the Civil war the Union burned much of the records from the South so what little remains is of historic significance . My Dads Family fought for the North my Moms family for the South.

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Cultural Loss in Lower Manhattan - Archaeology Magazine Archive

And to add.... not much different than ISIS blowing up cultural heritage sites in the Middle East.
ISIS said to have blown up ancient temple in Palmyra - CNN.com

And yet somehow, I'll bet the folks involved don't quite see it that way. (?)

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just found this from last year.
perhaps Harrisburg doesn't deserve the Museum.

View attachment 1273660

activists disguised as workers, who took it upon themselves to destroy what they called "shrines to racism, bigotry, and hate." Without authorization, nor the real work crew's knowledge, they collected various Confederate artifacts and burned them behind the building, out of sight of the museum staff.

Some of the destroyed historical artifacts were original confederate uniforms, rifles, equipment, flags, and swords. After the anti-Confederate activists burned all of the items they were able to carry outside quickly, they walked away, abandoning the site and leaving a smoldering pile of ashes with the remains of swords, muskets, and metal buttons for horrified museum staff to discover. - See more at: Civil War museum closed, Confederate artifacts burned

This article is a fake... read the comments under the story.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Destroying history, religion and language of a vanquished group of people is nothing new, look at how the Native Americans were treated. Even forbidding them to speak their native tongue.

Luckily for the middle east 90 some percent of it's artifacts are thought to still be covered in sand. It is still a terrible loss due to mindless terrorists.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This article is a fake... read the comments under the story.

Thank You ! Even though I got fooled on that One :(
I'm glad it's Fake !

I should have looked closer at where it was posted :BangHead:

as far as I'm aware the Robbery mentioned in the first post is real

Last edited:

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You ! Even though I got fooled on that One :(
I'm glad it's Fake !

I should have looked closer at where it was posted :BangHead:

as far as I'm aware the Robbery mentioned in the first post is real

I'm glad the "worse story" was fake, but that still can't change the fact that there are still people out there who wish to do such things.
The actual theft from the museum the other day really shows that, just hope they can recover the stolen artifacts and not find them in a neglected shape or worse completely destroyed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHTM) – A pair of Colt revolvers and a Henry rifle are the antique guns stolen during a weekend burglary at the National Civil War Museum, police said Wednesday

The .44 caliber Colt M1860 Army Revolver with serial number 11708 and a .36 caliber Colt M1861 Navy Revolver with serial number 1825 were presented to War Secretary Simon Cameron by Samuel Colt.
The revolvers, owned by the City of Harrisburg, were in the original wooden case that included .44 and .36 caliber bullet molds.

a.jpg

The lever-action rifle, a factory-engraved M1860 Henry Repeating Rifle manufactured by the New Haven Arms Company, was on loan to the museum. “Cameron” is engraved on the receiver and the rifle has a serial number of 115.

b.jpg

Police said the guns are functional, but ammunition may be hard to find.
Investigators believe the occurred shortly after 6 a.m. Sunday. An unknown person or persons shattered a window, apparently to enter the museum.
Police also confirmed the stolen guns were in a glass case and were part of a National Rifle Association-sponsored exhibit.

TAKE A LOOK: Historic guns stolen from Civil War Museum | Local News - WGAL Home

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread