Treasure Trove of 160-Year-Old US Civil War Documents Intentionally Destroyed!!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a true story and a good lesson why it is sometimes wise to keep your mouth shut if you find certain things - especially when it comes to getting government involved. Do not read if you get easily angered by the intentional desecration of history by corrupt government. :angry7:

boxes-burned.jpg
— In the summer of 2013 a new Clerk of Court in Franklin County discovered a trove (an entire roomful) of documents, some dating back to 1840, in a previously sealed room in the Franklin County, North Carolina Court House.

— Recognizing the historical value of these materials, she contacted the local historical society to assist in reviewing the materials, preserving them, and inventorying the materials.

— The Local historical group enthusiastically poured themselves into the project, mobilizing volunteers and the whole community — securing space to work, materials, and finances — in order to catalog and preserve the bounty of record books, photographs, deeds, chattel records, land grants, deeds, wills, personal correspondence, and countless other materials from a wide variety of government departments throughout the county. (This room had apparently become the “graveyard” for old records, and no one bothered to investigate it for many, many decades.)

— In August of this year, the Local Historians — realizing they may be beyond their depth in regard to the value of some of these materials, contacted the North Carolina Department of Archives, seeking guidance on proper preservation techniques and value assessment.

And that’s when things went hinky. The NC Archives group stepped in, pulled rank, and immediately halted all work on the project, stating that they were going to study the challenge and come up with “Next Steps”. Months passed and nothing got done, while the documents languished in the basement of the courthouse.

Then, on Friday, December 6, 2013, at 6:00 in the evening (after all the county workers had left, and with no notice to the local historical group involved in the project), a team from the North Carolina Archives swept in and confiscated ALL the materials — with the cover of Law Enforcement! They took the documents to the County Incinerator, and methodically burned EVERYTHING. They did this while a few locals stood by, not understanding why or precisely what was happening.

[CORRECTION: Added 01/06/2014 — The folks who swept in to claim and destroy the documents were NOT from the NC Archives. A team from the NC Archives did seize many boxes of documents from a workroom managed by the Franklin County Historical Society — but they were NOT directly involved in the destruction of the materials in the basement.

ADDENDUM TO THE CORRECTION: Added 01/06/2014 — A number of people have posted/emailed asking if I know what County Agency was responsible. I do not know for certain. So far conjecture leads me to the Franklin County Manager’s office — but until I hear her side of the story — my opinion is uninformed except by silence. Sorry.]

Every book, deed, will — every photograph — every piece of paper in that room was incinerated that night. No explanation has been given, and no media attention has asked any questions.

boxes-burned-2.jpg
Above: Boxes of documents from the Franklin County Courthouse seized and burned by the North Carolina State Archives.)

HERE’S WHAT I THINK:
After the Civil War (after emancipation), a lot of large land-owners deeded out substantial tracts of land to their former slaves. These former slaves had demonstrated to their masters that they were loyal, hard-working, and would continue to farm and contribute to the plantation collective as they always had. The only difference is that they would own the land they worked, and earn a somewhat larger income as a result of their efforts.

During reconstruction, a lot of land holders, both black and white, had difficulty paying very high property taxes imposed by Federal Occupiers. In swept speculators and investors from up North (these people have come to be known as “Carpet Baggers”.) They often forced white land owners to sell out at a fraction of the actual value of their property. In the case of black land-owners, sometimes all the Carpet Baggers offered was threats. The effect was the same — a vast transfer of wealth from titled property owners to new people who became, in the decades of the late 19th and early 20th century, among the wealthiest people in the South.

How do I know this? Some of my own ancestors were Carpet Baggers from Maryland. They made a small fortune after the war, stealing land, setting up mills, and effectively re-enslaving two or three generations of both poor-white and black natives of Halifax County, North Carolina.

My suspicion is that in and amongst all those now destroyed records, was a paper trail associated with one or more now-prominent, politically connected NC families that found its wealth and success through theft, intimidation, and outrageous corruption.[/SIZE]

books-burned.jpg
(Above: Some of the records before their destruction)

Main source: https://stumblingintheshadowsofgiants.wordpress.com/tag/north-carolina/

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Government had to get rid of the papers

This is a true story and a good lesson why it is sometimes wise to keep your mouth shut if you find certain things - especially when it comes to getting government involved. Do not read if you get easily angered by the intentional desecration of history by corrupt government. :angry7:

View attachment 1276818
— In the summer of 2013 a new Clerk of Court in Franklin County discovered a trove (an entire roomful) of documents, some dating back to 1840, in a previously sealed room in the Franklin County, North Carolina Court House.

— Recognizing the historical value of these materials, she contacted the local historical society to assist in reviewing the materials, preserving them, and inventorying the materials.

— The Local historical group enthusiastically poured themselves into the project, mobilizing volunteers and the whole community — securing space to work, materials, and finances — in order to catalog and preserve the bounty of record books, photographs, deeds, chattel records, land grants, deeds, wills, personal correspondence, and countless other materials from a wide variety of government departments throughout the county. (This room had apparently become the “graveyard” for old records, and no one bothered to investigate it for many, many decades.)

— In August of this year, the Local Historians — realizing they may be beyond their depth in regard to the value of some of these materials, contacted the North Carolina Department of Archives, seeking guidance on proper preservation techniques and value assessment.

And that’s when things went hinky. The NC Archives group stepped in, pulled rank, and immediately halted all work on the project, stating that they were going to study the challenge and come up with “Next Steps”. Months passed and nothing got done, while the documents languished in the basement of the courthouse.

Then, on Friday, December 6, 2013, at 6:00 in the evening (after all the county workers had left, and with no notice to the local historical group involved in the project), a team from the North Carolina Archives swept in and confiscated ALL the materials — with the cover of Law Enforcement! They took the documents to the County Incinerator, and methodically burned EVERYTHING. They did this while a few locals stood by, not understanding why or precisely what was happening.

[CORRECTION: Added 01/06/2014 — The folks who swept in to claim and destroy the documents were NOT from the NC Archives. A team from the NC Archives did seize many boxes of documents from a workroom managed by the Franklin County Historical Society — but they were NOT directly involved in the destruction of the materials in the basement.

ADDENDUM TO THE CORRECTION: Added 01/06/2014 — A number of people have posted/emailed asking if I know what County Agency was responsible. I do not know for certain. So far conjecture leads me to the Franklin County Manager’s office — but until I hear her side of the story — my opinion is uninformed except by silence. Sorry.]

Every book, deed, will — every photograph — every piece of paper in that room was incinerated that night. No explanation has been given, and no media attention has asked any questions.

View attachment 1276817
Above: Boxes of documents from the Franklin County Courthouse seized and burned by the North Carolina State Archives.)

HERE’S WHAT I THINK:
After the Civil War (after emancipation), a lot of large land-owners deeded out substantial tracts of land to their former slaves. These former slaves had demonstrated to their masters that they were loyal, hard-working, and would continue to farm and contribute to the plantation collective as they always had. The only difference is that they would own the land they worked, and earn a somewhat larger income as a result of their efforts.

During reconstruction, a lot of land holders, both black and white, had difficulty paying very high property taxes imposed by Federal Occupiers. In swept speculators and investors from up North (these people have come to be known as “Carpet Baggers”.) They often forced white land owners to sell out at a fraction of the actual value of their property. In the case of black land-owners, sometimes all the Carpet Baggers offered was threats. The effect was the same — a vast transfer of wealth from titled property owners to new people who became, in the decades of the late 19th and early 20th century, among the wealthiest people in the South.

How do I know this? Some of my own ancestors were Carpet Baggers from Maryland. They made a small fortune after the war, stealing land, setting up mills, and effectively re-enslaving two or three generations of both poor-white and black natives of Halifax County, North Carolina.

My suspicion is that in and amongst all those now destroyed records, was a paper trail associated with one or more now-prominent, politically connected NC families that found its wealth and success through theft, intimidation, and outrageous corruption.[/SIZE]

View attachment 1276824
(Above: Some of the records before their destruction)

Main source: https://stumblingintheshadowsofgiants.wordpress.com/tag/north-carolina/

I'm thinking they destroyed papers that would change the course of many large corporations

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad story :(

Better call Brad.

Attachments

• Brad Meltzer.jpg
    Brad Meltzer.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 957

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UNREAL! Figures someone up the food chain knows it could have rewrote history, or given rightful legal ownership of land, mineral rights, etc!

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
This is disgusting. I would love to find the people behind this and beat them severely with a big, ugly stick.

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
Just going through some of the older stuff on the boards, this is an absolutely horrendous crime brought to you by the Mafioso family in DC, especially under nitwit barry stereo, they got the underling NC mafioso family to make it all disappear, for the simple reason being no one can ever find out the truth of what really happened. This is your crooked govt in action,federal, state, local they are all guilty. Why is there not more of uprage?? Why isn't or wasn't the district attorney immediately all over this? How does such a huge story remain to kept so quiet? Why do we the people continue to blindly walk around on this planet and let this criminal govt continue to do whatever it wants without accountability?? I some very good opinions that are my own which I will not get into but these are the questions people should be asking themselves, and then, what will they do about it

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a good reason to never Ever,

EVER !!!!!!!!

Turn anything over to a Hysterical Society :(

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep you can destroy all that and it's fine but dig up one old coin and your enemy number one. HH

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
there was probably some thing in there they didn't want us to read

E

enochsea7

HERE’S WHAT I THINK:

My suspicion is that in and amongst all those now destroyed records, was a paper trail associated with one or more now-prominent, politically connected NC families that found its wealth and success through theft, intimidation, and outrageous corruption.

WOW, yea that's pretty infuriating. Even more infuriating is that whoever did it has already gotten away with it. This is really sad...

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly Devastating!!!!! We all know the old saying, loose lips sink ships (HISTORY) in this case!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread