Treasure Hunter's Body Found.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think the family would ever try to bring a civil suit to Mr. Fenn? I can see the courts leaning their way. What do you think?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you think the family would ever try to bring a civil suit to Mr. Fenn? I can see the courts leaning their way. What do you think?

Gosh I hope you are joking. Nobody held a gun to this guy's head. People have been killing themselves for thousands of years chasing legends. :skullflag:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gosh I hope you are joking. Nobody held a gun to this guy's head. People have been killing themselves for thousands of years chasing legends. :skullflag:

I agree that he did it on his own. I don't believe IMO he has a case but I have seen people sue for less. The argument would be that he wouldn't have been out there is there wasn't an enticement from forrest fenn.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree that he did it on his own. I don't believe IMO he has a case but I have seen people sue for less. The argument would be that he wouldn't have been out there is there wasn't an enticement from forrest fenn.

I completely understand the premise, I am just appalled that as a society we don't expect people to be responsible for their own actions. It HAS to be someone else's fault! I say stamp "dumber than dirt" on the dead guy's forehead, give sympathy to his family, and move on. Are the families of all the stupid people that hike in to the Superstitions in the heat of summer and perish looking for the LDGM going to sue the authors of the books on the subject? Gosh we are a stupid culture.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some would want to sue the sun, for waking them up, with daylight!
I'm with Terry on this one.

That is sad news, and I do hope the family can recover and move forward. Very sad.....

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Some would want to sue the sun, for waking them up, with daylight!
I'm with Terry on this one.

That is sad news, and I do hope the family can recover and move forward. Very sad.....

I agree as well with the exception of stamping "Dumber than dirt" in the dead guy's forehead! Come on Terry, are you really that insensitive? My sympathy goes out to Mr. Bilyeu's family and friends and hope that they can move on from their grief!

Frank

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

You can sue a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, doesn't mean you will win anything...

I guess under that theory I could sue my GPS for taking me down the wrong street.

All risk is assumed by the user...

Sad, for sure. But nobody's else's fault.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
who was it that said " life is hard, and it's harder if you are dumb'?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree as well with the exception of stamping "Dumber than dirt" in the dead guy's forehead! Come on Terry, are you really that insensitive?....

Yes I am. I've seen good men die doing dangerous, important jobs that HAD to be done. Men who trained day and night, sometimes for years. When some armchair wannabe goes off by himself into a wilderness situation he has no experience or expertise in - and drowns himself looking for treasure, then I'll personally stamp his dead head as a warning to others not to bite off a piece that is going to choke them to death. I'm still upset that he almost killed the poor dog to. This was not a smart man. :skullflag:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dumb is as dumb does

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other

No I do not believe so, I have seen many die whilst performing their passion. The statement the family made about the treasure not being true was said out of emotional distress; and since they respected him as a Treasure Hunter his entire life then they will respect that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

This is what many of us do every day and it apples to many industries, and those who stand by us and even encourage us to pursue our passion will respect that one little code. Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence

RIP Randy Bilyeu, you got to go out with your boots on.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they can sue under the pretense of Fraud.
Many people have been saying for years that there never was any treasure hidden.
Just another scam from the beginning and they try to keep it going with new clues.
I called BS on the story like 5 or 6 years ago.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Poor guy! But not being prepared when one goes into those areas is unaware. My heart goes out to the family.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I think they can sue under the pretense of Fraud.
Many people have been saying for years that there never was any treasure hidden.
Just another scam from the beginning and they try to keep it going with new clues.
I called BS on the story like 5 or 6 years ago.

This is wrong on so many levels.

Fenn has stated that you should look where an 80 year old man could walk carrying 45 pounds.

How dangerous could that be?

You say it's BS, so that is definitive proof that it's not out there? If 500 people said they can't find it, then that's the proof it doesn't exist?

We don't know that the treasure is there. We don't know that it isn't.

People have to assume responsibility for their own actions some where along the line.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
dumb is as dumb does

Didn't His Mama say that?

download.jpg

Top Member Reactions