A rare gold coin from 1879 is coming to auction.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There Is a $4 U.S. Coin, and It’s Now Worth $60,000

In 1879, America's minister plenipotentiary to Austria, John Adam Kasson, successfully persuaded the Philadelphia Mint that the U.S. needed a four-dollar coin. The exact logic of the argument has been lost to time, though its thrust was that America needed a coin that would work as a form of international currency, and a gold coin that (roughly) measured the same weight as a French napoleon or a British sovereign would do the trick.

There Is a $4 U.S. Coin, and It?s Now Worth $60,000 - Bloomberg

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to add one to my growing coin collection but I think I will be outbid. Unless we all pitch in and have a collective bid......:headbang::laughing7:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to add one to my growing coin collection but I think I will be outbid. Unless we all pitch in and have a collective bid......:headbang::laughing7:
That be nice to own and I can only guess what it be worth 20 years from now?. Maybe someone will get lucky with a metal detector and find one? This one looks like it's in fairly circulated condition, so some defiantly got passed around and maybe even lost I'm thinking.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
hmm...looks just like the weird coin I threw in the reject pile last month. :laughing7:

It's hard for me to imagine a coin of such value. The only silver I've found so far is a dime! :tongue3: No war nickels, no silver quarters, no rare cents. :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions