Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
here you go.
NICKEL FINDS COPPER IS RARE ROMAN COIN

09:00 - 11 July 2007

A roman coin dating back to 330AD has been discovered by accident on a footpath at Widemouth Bay.The coin, bearing the seal of the emperor Constantinopolois, was found by Launceston man Roger Nickel.

Mr Nickel had not realised his metal detector was still switched on as he headed home after an unsuccessful day of treasure-hunting.

So he was delighted when he discovered the coin, which has now been passed to Launceston museum where it is on display.

It was identified and dated by local historian Jim Edwards who said: "It is a copper coin but I'm not sure of its value.

"It has been secondly stamped, which means it was in circulation twice.

"Originally it was commissioned between 330 and 340AD, and it was over stamped again about 355 to 361AD."

The authenticity of the coin has been confirmed by the British Museum.

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/dis...me=yes&more_nodeId1=232470&contentPK=17799578

kenb

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
This is what the coin probably looks like. It is a "Constantinople Commemmorative" and is attributed to the emperor Constantine I. Constantine The Great moved the capital of the empire from Rome to Constantinople (Modern day Istanbul Turkey)...this coin commemmorates the move. The obverse is the helmeted head of the personification of Constantinople while the reverse exhibits the personification of Victory on the prow of a ship leaning on a shield and holding a staff.

Regards,

Gunner

Attachments

• antioch.jpg
    antioch.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 768
  • antioch.jpg
    antioch.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 317

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread