French man discovers gold coins and bars worth €3.5m in inherited house...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Frenchman who inherited a house from a dead relative has discovered a glittering treasure trove of gold coins and bars worth millions.

Squirrelled away in hiding places throughout the house in Normandy, he came across thousands of gold coins and bars weighing 100kg (220lb) in total.

“There were 5,000 gold pieces, two bars of 12 kilos and 37 ingots of 1 kilo,” Nicolas Fierfort, a local auctioneer, told AFP, confirming a report in the local La Depeche newspaper.

Fierfort, who had visited the house to value furniture offered for sale by the new owner, said the loot, which was worth €3.5m ($3.7m), was “extremely well hidden”.

“It was under the furniture, under piles of linen, in the bathroom ... everywhere,” he said, admitting that he himself had overlooked the gold on his visit.

It was only when the new owner – whose identity and relationship with the previous owner were withheld – began moving the furniture that he stumbled on the stash.

First he found a tin box of coins screwed to the underside of a piece of furniture. From there the trail led to a box for a bottle of whisky and other hiding places until he hit the jackpot: a pile of gold bars each weighing 12 kilos.

“At that point he called his solicitor to make an inventory,” Fierfort said.

The gold, it turned out, was bought in the 1950s and 1960s.

All the certificates of authenticity were later found in the deceased’s estate.

The gold has already been sold to various buyers in France and other countries.

But the real winner could be the taxman, La Depeche said.

Apart from being liable for a 45-percent inheritance tax, the finder will also have to pay three years in back taxes on it if the deceased failed to declare his treasures.

-------------

for the site - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/22/france-man-discovers-gold-coins-bars-house

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Death and TAXES, Guess no matter where you live you cannot escape them. :dontknow:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
talk about a corrupt government! 80% will be stolen from the man. That right there is why you keep you mouth shut and sell in small amounts over time.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, I bet he now wishes that he had kept the news of the find to himself! He could have lived comfortably by selling a little off at a time as Jason stated. Also, he would likely have a lot left over for when the SHTF.

Frank

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why the heck would anyone say anything about finding 220 lbs of gold !!! I just can't imagine finding a bunch of gold and then running to the gov. and saying how much do I owe you ????
Would any of you guys or gals blab if you found something like this ?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why the heck would anyone say anything about finding 220 lbs of gold !!! I just can't imagine finding a bunch of gold and then running to the gov. and saying how much do I owe you ????

Gold...what gold? :dontknow:

IMO, taxes on estates is the Gov't theft by order of law. They have -0-
right to it, so they just take it.

As for the new fleet of Lamborghini's, a friend gave them to me. :laughing7:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Huh? found what? Dont know what you're talking about. :laughing7:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
talk about a corrupt government! 80% will be stolen from the man. That right there is why you keep you mouth shut and sell in small amounts over time.
I disagree with you. If I find buried treasures, I not only pay federal income taxes, but also Connecticut income taxes. Shame on you. I also sell my coins in a coin auction. Most coin dealers will not give you even 50% of the retail value of the coins.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Food for thought...

There is no tax when you buy coins / monies.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I worked as a heavy equipment operator for 25 years, and torn down many,many, houses and commercial buildings, opened a few large safes, with my excavator....................never found a thing:BangHead:.....................or did I?:laughing7:

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Minelab go find 60 Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely should keep your mouth shut.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread