Viking treasure hoard uncovered

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
canada has the worst laws, i picked up this peice, threw it in my sack and took it home and cleaned it off. if it turns out to be viking , i broke the law, i am suposed to leave it in the ground for the experts to come and they never do.. it looks very viking and there is more , i would like to identify it , befor it dissapers, any one seen the markings?

Attachments

• vikingsilverpeice.jpg
    vikingsilverpeice.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 430

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like native American pottery maybe early maybe late check with an archaeological society or email me the pics ill do my best to help i am involved with a society in preserving the past.
sincerely Gman

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmm said:
canada has the worst laws, i picked up this peice, threw it in my sack and took it home and cleaned it off. if it turns out to be viking , i broke the law, i am suposed to leave it in the ground for the experts to come and they never do.. it looks very viking and there is more , i would like to identify it , befor it dissapers, any one seen the markings?

I study & collect Anglo-Sandinavian (British settled Viking) Artefacts. Doesn't look like any Viking style from 8-11th century. Might be later than 11th century but couldn't tell. It does look the right colour for a Viking piece but I not convinced it is.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Earlier this year I was lucky enough to spend an afternoon at the excavation of the first Viking settlement in Iceland. Although it is still an ongoing dig, most everything has been found. What made an impression on me more than the actual artifacts, and what I see as an interesting counterpoint to the British point of view, is that in Iceland, no one even thought about claiming ownership, especially as concerns any kind of profit. I got the impression that modern Icelanders view the Vikings as their direct relatives, not as distant, historical men of yore --- kind of like they were just going through grandpa's old stuff --- no matter that grandpa's stuff is from the year 871. There was no mention whatsoever of who owned what. There was a collective sense that everybody "owned" this stuff. I'm not passing any judgement here, but I think it's interesting how differently the British handled their find. The ethics in these situations can get so complex!

Additionally, I didn't see much Viking silver while in Iceland (and I looked!), which makes the find in Britain all the more remarkable.

Thanks for this thread, Jeff. Anything Viking-related fascinates me, and I love reading about their hoards.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread