jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most important Viking treasure find in Britain for 150 years has been unearthed by a father and son while metal detecting in Yorkshire.
David and Andrew Whelan uncovered the hoard, which dates back to the 10th Century, in Harrogate in January.

The pair kept their find intact and it was transferred to the British Museum to be examined by experts, who said the discovery was "phenomenal".

It was declared as a treasure at a court hearing in Harrogate on Thursday.

North Yorkshire coroner Geoff Fell said: "Treasure cases are always interesting, but this is one of the most exciting cases that I have ever had to rule on.

"I'm delighted that such an important Viking hoard has been discovered in North Yorkshire. We are extremely proud of our Viking heritage in this area."

more

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/north_yorkshire/6906107.stm

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
"The proceeds would be split between the finders and landowners."

Makes me wonder if the father/son team asked permission and if not...bye bye split.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the Nice thing about England.

They will Buy your find from you
at fair historical value.

Not tell you it's Historical and take it.

and it makes it easier for land owners to give permission.
Because if you find something.
the land owner gets half by law.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tricia said:
"The proceeds would be split between the finders and landowners."

Makes me wonder if the father/son team asked permission and if not...bye bye split.

No that means there was an agreement otherwise the farmer gets it all.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Wow is right, did you read the comment about the find from the moron at the bottom of the second article?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TEXAN Connection said:
Wow is right, did you read the comment about the find from the moron at the bottom of the second article?

yeap t*wa*t - spoken like a true non-detectorist. If you got a finder fee of lets say Β£10000 when its worth Β£1000000 what are you likely to do? Not hand it in. The reward has to be fair.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TEXAN Connection said:

This one :D ?

Surely a discovery of this magnitude should be claimed as a national heritage, rather than the British museum having to pay a huge sum, wouldn't it be better for the parties concerned to receive a 'finders fee'. After all, the landowner would have had no idea that it was there had not David and Andrew found it. In turn, Andrew and David were only described as 'amateurs,' which I understand to mean that they enjoy their hobby, but not expect payment.

Probably an Archeologist.
or someone from the Museum.

They do have a High Opinion of us though ;)

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would of taken it home and dug a hole in the backyard and showed them where I found it.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasureES1907_468x224.jpg

woob woob woob woob

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
jonnyrebel00 said:
I think i would have had to keep that find to myself.

I think your out of your mind. The British government will pay the finders the full appraised value (not simply a finder's fee), which at this point is 750,000 pounds or about 1.5 million dollars. Check out on the net, the story of the Hoxne Hoard, which was also found metal detecting by an English gardener in 1992. The British Museum paid out 1.75 million pounds (about 3.5 million dollars), which was split between the gardener and the landowner.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I posted a comment, but whether it will be published on the site remains to be seen.

Name?

Richard Greene of Neanderthal, France.
;D

Not only that, but if someone WERE stupid enough to 'keep it', then A) what good would it do? Certainly if a finder was an average working stiff, I would think he or she would rather have the cash! Simply by obeying the law, one would wind up very wealthy!, and B) I would rather not try to sell it, and then get busted by the police for trying to sell it in direct contravention to British Law, and then wind up with nothing!

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats you Bolth did the right thing. However Wach out for a lawsuit by the land owner if you did not get premission the lad owner is intitles to it all if you did get premission than still hope you get some pices of the Moolah
again Congrats and hh from Gm

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
garrettman64 said:
Congrats you Bolth did the right thing. However Wach out for a lawsuit by the land owner if you did not get premission the lad owner is intitles to it all if you did get premission than still hope you get some pices of the Moolah

this was England.

it is Automatic Both the Finder & The landowner Split the
value of the find.

It's the Law.

Only here in the U.S. you would find landowners Suing.

Plus it would not have hit the News the way it has,
IF it were found Illegally.

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Right again I never thought about that ;) . Why doesn't the USA Have a Law like that ???. Why Ill Tell You WHY :o The First letter Begins with G :followed by R and an E :and an E :o and a D :o Thats Right GREED :' :o :'( :'(( The Almighty Dollar Just Like in the Gold Rush days as soon as someone hered the world Gold In California they all went there.
from garrettman64
PS No Offense to anyone

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
garrettman64 said:

this was England.

it is Automatic Both the Finder & The landowner Split the
value of the find.

It's the Law.

Only here in the U.S. you would find landowners Suing.

Plus it would not have hit the News the way it has,
IF it were found Illegally.

Wrong - Its what ever the agreement is. 60% - 40%. Some agreements are 100% to the finder, depends on the farmer. I have a 50%/50% slit as it seems fair. In practice I keep 80% of my finds as the farmer realises the work I put in. However in cases of Treasure Trove & I have had a couple, the Landowner gets his half.

If you have no agreement, then the landowner can claim it all.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER

I would Think it would be Pretty easy to get landowners to allow
searches, IF they were Promised 50%

Therfore I would not understand why anyone would
Not have some type of deal with the Landowner.
Especially since Historically Significant finds must
be reported anyway.

Thanks for the Correction though, I did think it was
an Auto 50/50 on Treasure Trove, as long as you have permission
to search.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
CRUSADER

I would Think it would be Pretty easy to get landowners to allow
searches, IF they were Promised 50%

Therfore I would not understand why anyone would
Not have some type of deal with the Landowner.
Especially since Historically Significant finds must
be reported anyway.

You are right I do not understand why you wouldn't get permission. However there is a massive problem with 'night hawks'. People who normally detect at night without permission. At one stage it was 50% of the hobbie. Its still very high. The best place to detect if your interested in money are protected by Law. Church Commission land has a flat ban on all detecting & the church hold a large % of the land. The government holds a large amount & also bans detecting. So plenty of scope to brake the Law. IF your interested in the MONEY.

Some landowner are not interested in History or money. Some let me keep all the stuff. But yes if you go to a new landowner and ask for a 50/50 slit then you are more likely to get permission. After all they do nothing and get my 1000's of hours of work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread