Policeman steals gold coins found detecting - 16mo. Jail plus 5 year detecting ban!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, dumb as a post!! But, I sure wish we had such sane MD laws here in the USA. We are not allowed to hunt many places due to folks thinking we will destroy history when almost all of what we find has little or no historical interest or value. In England many historical artifacts that would be lost forever are recovered by MDers, and if the government wants the found items as historical items for museums the MDer who found them gets reimbursed with the fair market value.

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the worst part of that story is that
The coin dealer, who had bought the items in good faith, was left out of pocket by Cockle’s actions, the court heard.
Do they not have a reparation law in Merry Old England?

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the worst part of that story is that

Do they not have a reparation law in Merry Old England?

That jumped out at me too and I thought the same thing.

Even says they were purchased "in good-faith". Buyer beware or be screwed by everyone.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am happy that I am a treasure hunter living in the great United States of America. Good hunting and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions