Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ooo.jpg

A bag containing possible traces of moon dust is heading to auction – surrounded by some fallout from a
court battle.

The collection bag, used by astronaut Neil Armstrong during the supposed first manned mission to the moon in 1969, will be featured Thursday at a Sotheby's auction in New York City of items related to space voyages. The pre-sale estimate is $2 million to $4 million.

The artifact from the Apollo 11 mission was misidentified and sold at an online government auction. NASA fought to get it back.

In December, a federal judge ruled that it legally belonged to a Chicago-area woman who bought it in 2015 for $995. I'm Not sure if she also Bought the Brooklyn Bridge.

Sotheby's declined to identify the seller. However, details of the 2015 purchase were made public during the court case

Investigators unknowingly hit the moon mother lode in 2003 while searching the garage of a man later convicted of stealing and selling museum artifacts, including some that were on loan from NASA.
The 12-by-8½-inch bag was misidentified and sold at an online government auction.

Nancy Carlson, of Inverness, Illinois, got an ordinary-looking bag made of white Beta cloth and polyester with rubberized nylon and a brass zipper.

Carlson, a collector, thought the bag had been used in a space flight, but she didn't know for sure. She sent it to NASA for testing, and the government agency, fought to keep it.

The artifact "belongs to the American people," NASA said then.

Apparently in their minds She is not one of the American People.

U.S. District Judge J. Thomas Marten in Wichita, Kansas said that while it shouldn't have gone up for auction, he didn't have the authority to reverse the sale. He ordered the government to return it.

My opinion... If NASA wants it so Bad. whether it is real or if it's in order to cover up the Fake moon Landing,
and

Neil Armstrong's lies. or if the dust in/on it is from it sitting around for a long time,
or from real samples.
I'm sure they can afford to out Bid anyone
except maybe an Oil Baron, or gas station owner.

[In 2008, NASA signed contracts with SpaceX and its rival aerospace company Orbital Sciences, to the tune of $1.6 billion for 12 launches and $1.9 billion for eight rocket launches, respectively.

While these new missions cost hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars less than a space shuttle launch, the price of sending cargo into space didn't go down.]

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-071817a-sothebys-space-auction-moon-bag.html

Last edited:

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent writing and especially the commentary! :sign10:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They can buy it back from her...... No doubt in my mind what so ever we sent men to the moon. I have seen classified moon pictures when I was in Air-force.

Last edited:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
They can buy it back from her...... No doubt in my mind what so ever we sent men to the moon. I have seen classified moon pictures when I was in Air-force.

Have these pictures been declassified yet?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have these pictures been declassified yet?
I don't know if ones I locked at were, I do know there are still a lot of them that are still classified.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought for $ 995 at auction...

Sold for 1.8 million.

Not a bad investment... one word... SHEEESH ! ! !

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bag containing traces of moon dust sells for $1.8 million. | FOX 61

less all fees from hands out, including taxes ?
Whatta ya Think ? half a Mill yet ?

Still a nice amount, if she can spend it before next years Taxes Roll around.

I'd convert it all to silver and bury it in my foundation of my house.
then again, at My age, I'd probably give 90% away to relatives
and Spend Spend Spend the rest :laughing7: go out in personal Debt, still owing the irs

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread