English School Caretaker Discovers Medieval Coin Hoard Buried in Playground + MORE

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
English School Caretaker Discovers Medieval Coin Hoard Buried in Playground | Mental Floss

School caretaker gets to metal detect a school yard, and finds a cache of old hammered silver coins.
The cache consists of 128 silver coins forged during the 15th and early 16th centuries, a period of transition in England from the Medieval era to the Renaissance era. It includes groat and half-groat coins, which date back to the reigns of monarchs King Edward IV and King Henry VII, and nine coins from the 1460s associated with Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy. Together, they're worth £11,000 (nearly $15,000 US).

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing this -- stories like this make me always think 2 things: (1) why doesn't that ever happen to me?, and (2) if it did, would I ever tell anyone?! :icon_scratch::laughing7:

A terrific inspiration for us all to get out and hit those sites we've been meaning to get to!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for sharing this -- stories like this make me always think 2 things: (1) why doesn't that ever happen to me?, and (2) if it did, would I ever tell anyone?! :icon_scratch::laughing7:

A terrific inspiration for us all to get out and hit those sites we've been meaning to get to!

i wouldn't tell anybody :laughing7:

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for that comment, as I'm always looking for news on treasure, especially an illustrated one like this one!
Can almost feel the cool silver coins in your hot little hands, huh...? WoW...!

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's awesome! Hope it helps in his retirement.

It should help! Neat thing about it is, land owner shares the fair value of the coins with the finder.
(Wonder if he'll be able to keep that job with the school?)

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the "Keep Quiet " option at least until the items are secure, then tell'em Kiss my Butt if they want to take it or any part of it.

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the "Keep Quiet " option at least until the items are secure, then tell'em Kiss my Butt if they want to take it or any part of it.

I believe in the Finders Keepers...a lucky windfall with financial benefits - hey, you have to have some compensation for all your hard work..., right?

skarmajunga

Feb 25, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Fisher F75
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher CZ7A Pro
I thought it would be worth more than that :icon_scratch:

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

An answer to the first question is simple. You don't live/hunt in England.:laughing7:

To the second question, I would not tell anyone but if the monetary value is that important, someone official would have to know in order to get paid. England does things a lot different anyway when it comes to unearthing treasure.
Still, a great story that makes me want to daydream.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions