Tomb of Genghis Khan Found??

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Plausible. Under a river was the story I grew up with. I just read elsewhere that his tomb was relatively modest for a ruler of his stature, here, they refer to it as "crude". I give it a 75% chance of probability.

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting story. Thanks for sharing. I'll keep an eye out on this story.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting article. Pretty amazing accidental discovery! Whoever it was, he was rich and important, and Genghis Khan seems the most likely candidate. The finds line up with the legend.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
They've been looking for his tomb for a long time. Like Simon1 said, this certainly fits the bill. Funny how a lot of the great discoveries are accidental. I thought I had read elsewhere it was his chieftains or most loyal warriors that were (expected to be) entombed with him, not slaves. I imagine that's a day you wouldn't be looking forward to - the Great Khan's death. "Right - in you go!"

OP
OP
J.A.A.

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
My only question to this story is...why aren’t we hearing MUCH more about it assuming it’s actually true??

I would’ve thought that this would be considered a HUGE discovery (think: king tut) that we’d be seeing all over the press, and yet, I’ve only read about it on 2 different sites!
Strange

Then again, just to be fair, considering how recent this discovery/story is, there’s going to need to be a helluva lot more analyzation, investigation, & scrutinizing in general before anyone actually says it’s him with 100% certainty.

Last edited:

MotherOfGeeks

Apr 26, 2016
Washington
Primary Interest:
Other
The lack of info and press coverage could be because it is in Mongolia and being studied by Chinese archaeologists. The political turf war on this one has got to be epic.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coins must have been used to date the remains (+\- 20 years).

OP
OP
J.A.A.

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
The lack of info and press coverage could be because it is in Mongolia and being studied by Chinese archaeologists. The political turf war on this one has got to be epic.

Fair point. Besides the archeologists taking their time verifying the discovery, the “political turf war” as you phrased it is definitely going to hinder the entire process for those of us living here in the west to receive any substantial information.

Side question: I’v heard the “buried under a river” theory many many times before for OTHER historical individuals tombs/treasures but whatever happened to the “on top of a sacred mountain” idea that has also been typically attributed to the lost tomb of Genghis Khan
(As “hunted for” by Josh Gates on an episode of Expedition Unknown)??

Last edited:

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read that 1 in 200 Mongolians are direct decedents of the mighty Khan.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Fair point. Besides the archeologists taking their time verifying the discovery, the “political turf war” as you phrased it is definitely going to hinder the entire process for those of us living here in the west to receive any substantial information.

Side question: I’v heard the “buried under a river” theory many many times before for OTHER historical individuals tombs/treasures but whatever happened to the “on top of a sacred mountain” idea that has also been typically attributed to the lost tomb of Genghis Khan
(As “hunted for” by Josh Gates on an episode of Expedition Unknown)??
===============
I watched that episode as well. Chinese were not really helpful and prohibited ANY exploration of any kind on the ground. When they did that LIDAR it looked interesting didn't it ?

OP
OP
J.A.A.

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
===============
I watched that episode as well. Chinese were not really helpful and prohibited ANY exploration of any kind on the ground. When they did that LIDAR it looked interesting didn't it ?

Yes it did!
Funny how the Chinese/mongol “watchers” of that mountain made the shows host, cameramen, & producers get drunk with them before starting to trust them not to go up & potentially desecrate the sacred mountain (they’d apparently kill them if they did!).

Then, almost immediately after starting their “hunt” the next morning, almost as if they were intentionally planted, Josh finds a cache containing some sort of spear heads. Unfortunately, that happened basically in the last 5 minutes of the program and then (as usual) the show simply ended without any real resolution or object(s) found.

The truth is, I find the show to be more about getting a brief education on certain treasure-related topics rather than expecting them to actually ever find anything.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't ever think they can finds anything!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread