Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the post, Grant. I actually know a little about the Ellensburg Blue agate. When I was a kid, we had a river front summer cabin on the middle fork of the Teanaway River NW of Ellensburg. The woman in the video says it's the third hardest gemstone. It's actually an agate, with minerals that make it harder than quartz, sometimes as hard as a sapphire. We found a few, two outstanding ones, which my parents made into a large men's cabochon ring, that was later stolen, and a large women's cab ring, that now belongs to my oldest daughter. Both were bluer than a robin's egg.

These two, when looked at under a 10X loupe, had tiny red spots in them. They can be found in the river, local dry washes, but I have heard the best way to find them is to walk the hay fields after plowing in the spring, after some rain has fallen. There used to be a number of rockshops in Ellensburg, and one in the little watering hole of Liberty heading up Blewett pass. They are unique, and rare.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at a few specimens online and yes they are a beautiful stone. I know I've seen antique jewelry out there with what I now believe was possibly set with a stone that looked very similar to an Ellensburg agate, but I was unaware of what I may have been looking at. I'll have to keep my eyes open for anymore jewelry I may come across set with a stone such as these or maybe take a trip up that way someday?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want one !!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mentioned we had a cabin on the Middle Fork of the Teanaway, and I found a couple of pics. This river used to be full of agates, a few blues, and also a cool purple banded agate. This was back in the 60's, and I have no idea what happened to our finds over the years. Craig hunting.jpg Teanaway 1.jpg Teanaway 2.jpg Teanaway 3.jpg

The cabin was right by the river, and was actually completely washed away in a flood in the 90's. The 12 year old with the Savage .308 is me. Don't see that today much. The trout fishing was pretty good.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good old days. There's a Savage lever action in the pawn shop uptown I noticed a week ago. Boy you could pick those up pretty reasonable 30 years ago, but like all firearms today they ain't cheap anymore. I think the pawn shop wanted $395 for it and just about any gun around here they don't remain long enough for the price to go down, as someone always pays the what they're asking, before it becomes long lasting inventory.

mollyk927

Apr 23, 2015
eastern shore of virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you've seen this, Tamrock, but if not, this video of geologist Nick Zentner describes exactly where the blue agates can be found (and also how they were formed):

His lectures are most interesting, informative and funny as heck (at least I think so--but then I've got rocks in my head :)

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Molly, that was an excellent video, and answered a lot of questions I have had for years.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look on eBay there are a lot of false Ellensburg blue ads.

I have always meant to go to Ellensburg and look for these. I have heard to look off Highway 10 between cle elum and Ellensburg.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread