Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Coin cache unearthed

Web Posted: 08/21/2007 11:44 PM CDT

John Tedesco
Express-News

Jack Suneson bought a downtown property on Commerce Street thinking it was a good spot for tourists to part with their money.
But someone had already parted with a stockpile of coins at the site — nearly 130 years ago.

'I'm holding history in my hand here,' Jack Suneson said of the coins that were discovered on his property on Commerce Street.

Suneson is a businessman from Nuevo Laredo who owns Marti's, a Mexican arts and crafts store. On Monday, a construction crew was digging up dirt to lay a foundation for Suneson's new store at 310 W. Commerce St.

A backhoe uncovered about 200 U.S. quarters, half dollars and silver dollars dating between 1852 and 1880. The crew also found a gold coin from that era.

The value of the coins largely depends on their condition, and many are green with corrosion. Suneson said he doesn't expect to make a fortune selling the hoard. He's more interested in the mystery of how the coins wound up underground, forgotten.

"We theorize these were buried under some sort of floorboard or something," Suneson said.

The hoarder might have lived around 1880 because the most recent coin was a Morgan Silver Dollar dated that year.

"Usually, people hide coins like that because it's an illegal stash, or they're afraid of putting their money in the bank," said Ron Guth, president of Professional Coin Grading Service in Newport Beach, Calif.

The stash included about 100 Morgan Silver Dollars, which are named after the coins' designer.

Butch Muennink, owner of Alamo Heights Coin Shop in San Antonio, said a well-preserved Morgan Silver Dollar could probably fetch between $12 and $18 today. It might be worth more depending on other factors, such as where it was minted.

If corrosion "pitted" the coins — or ate away at the metal — the value would be drastically reduced, Muennink added.

Harry Shafer, a retired archaeology professor from Texas A&M University who was hired by Suneson as a consultant, said finding buried money at a construction site is unusual.

"Listen, I've been in archaeology for 45 years," Shafer said. "I've done lots of projects. But I've never come across anything quite like this."

Suneson imagines that someone tucked away coin after coin over the years, making sacrifices to save for the future. "It's really tragic that they might have passed away and never told anybody," he said. "And the family never got to use it."

Suneson said he plans to clean the coins that can be saved and display them in his new store.

kenb

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story. Here is a small photo of a handful of the coins-

Attachments

• D_IMAGE_11432118fbd_93_88_fa_d0_5a6ccf5a.jpg
    D_IMAGE_11432118fbd_93_88_fa_d0_5a6ccf5a.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 616

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh yes that is a nice find that is what we all would like to dig up.. ==Jim==

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's silver I don't know where they would say that It's pitted. Shouldn't have. And we all know silver will clean up nicely.

Shoddy coin dealer trying to make a buck.

Nice find for the new owner.

Ken

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread