jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The daily independent. (Elizabeth City, N.C.), 19 July 1937.

000fff.jpg
000eee.jpg
000ddd.jpg
000ccc.jpg
000bbb.jpg
000aaa.jpg

Part - 1

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...&proxValue=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=472

& Part - 2

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...xt=&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=68

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I found 80 gold bars? I'd be so happy! I'd even share it !! :laughing7:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
More history......
During the late 1700s, great quantities of gold were shipped from Panama that originated in the La Estrella (The Star) mine which was located near the Pac. Coast of what is now Costa Rica. Gold was shipped from the nearby port back to Spain. According to legend, when the ships returned to load up in one particular year, the mine had vanished.

Despite frantic searches, not a trace of the village, docks, the mine nor the Spanish guards could be found. The legend was revived in 1906 when a group of indigenous people appeared in David (town) with crude gold bars--to exchange for currency. The Indians refuse to explain how the gold had come into their possession. Do the locals still guard the secret of La Estrella? Someday, I'd like to be in that area--again.

Don.....

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More history......
During the late 1700s, great quantities of gold were shipped from Panama that originated in the La Estrella (The Star) mine which was located near the Pac. Coast of what is now Costa Rica. Gold was shipped from the nearby port back to Spain. According to legend, when the ships returned to load up in one particular year, the mine had vanished.

Despite frantic searches, not a trace of the village, docks, the mine nor the Spanish guards could be found. The legend was revived in 1906 when a group of indigenous people appeared in David (town) with crude gold bars--to exchange for currency. The Indians refuse to explain how the gold had come into their possession. Do the locals still guard the secret of La Estrella? Someday, I'd like to be in that area--again.

Don.....

I might have to take a spin back to Chiriqui Province next time I'm in Panama. I've been there a few times just to vacation. The clostest I've been to Piedra Candela is Volcan, though.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure of the sierra madre

Top Member Reactions