Strange carved stone found 'buried' under New Jersey river puzzles locals

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.foxnews.com/science/str...-buried-under-new-jersey-river-puzzles-locals

By Jennifer Earl | Fox News

b7b6679f-stone.jpg
New Jersey workers found a carved stone in Bloomingdale's Sloan Park underneath the Pequannock River on Oct. 18. (Jon Dunleavy/Borough of Bloomingdale New Jersey Government)

New Jersey workers were cleaning up the Pequannock River in Bloomingdale's Sloan Park to prepare for a flood mitigation project Thursday when they spotted a stone with an unusual marking. Upon closer inspection, they discovered what appears to be a crowned royal on the chunk of rock.

The carved stone was "buried underground beneath the riverbed," the Borough of Bloomingdale New Jersey Government announced in a Thursday Facebook post.

The 14 by 12-inch rock shows a woman with curly hair, a crown and a high-neck ruff — a crimped collar typically worn in Western Europe in the 16th and 17th centuries.

"We have no idea what it is but we are trying to find out," the borough added.

Bloomingdale Mayor Jon Dunleavy told NorthJersey.com officials recovered the stone and a few local historians are already studying it.

“It is quite an extraordinary find and the borough hopes to find out what it actually is," Dunleavy said.

But some locals were already sharing their own theories with the local government.

"Could it have something to do with the tissue paper company in that area that used to supply sanitary paper, toilet paper, to the English royal family? They would have had royal seal," one resident commented.

"Reminds me of one of the child kings in France or Mary Queen of Scots," another added.

"My wife thinks it looks like The Infant of Prague Statue," another man said.

"Tapestry of the Infant of Prague. Hung in religious places or homes in devotion," a woman said.

Sloan Park has been closed to the public for seven years due to severe flood damage from Hurricane Irene, NorthJersey.com previously reported.

"Rather than continuing to invest money and making these repairs, the town decided it's time to really try to find a permanent fix," Dunleavy told the news site in June. "The goal was to primarily stop Main Street from flooding because the water was leaving the park's boundaries flooding our businesses on Main Street."

Dunleavy said workers are currently focusing on restoring the riverbed, placing caged stone at the bottom of the Pequannock River with the goal of restoring the banks to their normal height.

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
little do they know, that's my "King of my domain" tomb stone. it broke when I was traveling so I just tossed it. DUH, what can you do with a broken tombstone?

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find, it oughta be easy enough to determine the source of the stone via isotopic analysis, and if it is from England I would wager that it was brought across the pond as ballast in a ship. I've read that in various locations along the East coast very strange discoveries of ancient and medieval material suggests that Thames River sediments were dug and used to weight the empty ships, which then discarded their loads of artifact-bearing muck over here. If it is from England, perhaps it was from a Catholic structure razed by Henry VIII?

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I bet you can run a straight line from where it was found in the river to Oak Island! ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions