🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
preview4.jpg

preview1.jpg

preview2.jpg

preview.jpg

BELLMAWR, N.J. (AP) – A quick eye by Goodwill workers in southern New Jersey turned up framed pages from an original 1774 Philadelphia newspaper with an iconic "Unite or Die" snake design on the masthead.The frayed Dec. 28, 1774, edition of the "Pennsylvania Journal and the Weekly Advertiser" boasts three items signed by John Hancock, then president of the Provincial Congress, who pleads for the Colonies to fight back "enemies" trying to divide them.A jumble of small advertisements offer rewards for a lost horse or runaway apprentice, while another insists the poster will no longer pay his "misbehav(ing)" wife's debts.Bob Snyder of the New York auction house Cohasco says the "rebel" newspaper shows how "everyone was good and mad" at the British just months before the Revolutionary War began. The masthead design is a variant of the "Join, or Die" political cartoon credited to Benjamin Franklin.
"These were very important propaganda tools," Snyder said of newspapers and pamphlets of the era. "The viciousness then in some was as much or more as it is today. . (But) the language was more powerful in putting down the other side."Snyder estimates the newspaper's value at $6,000 to $16,000. Goodwill Industries hopes to sell it to help funds its educational and job-training services, according to Heather Randall, e-commerce manager of the regional operation in Bellmawr, New Jersey.

more:

https://hosted.ap.org/republicanher...workers-nj-find-original-1774-rebel-newspaper

Last edited:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I would place that between 45-60K; but this auction house is no stranger to low ball appraising, then even making an offer the selves lower than that.

Great find though.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most goodwill employees wear diapers and cant even tie their own shoes. Education and job training, really?
Might wanna focus on just getting them new helmets first.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not that I have any problems with challenged people but our local store is just a big day care. None of them will understand job training and some dont even realize they are employees. As soon as you walk through the door they are asking for money for sodas. Only at the thrift store haha.
It's a great way to fleece the handicapped for cheap labor and to increase the profits. Ain't helping anyone but them.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The biggest For Profit thrift store in the country.
Oh and what a find with the paper. " I would hang that on my wall" Well DUUUUUH

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
When I lived in Western/Southern NJ, this was my local GW. Used to shop here almost daily between the years 2010-2013. Still do occasionally.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread